Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165 at Work

Buc McMaster

Mr Costner has good taste in guitars. I've seen other photos of him with a Hummingbird and a J-45, but this is the first high-profile use of the little jumbo I've run across. Where tulip tunders part of this guitar's factory appointments at some point, or do you reckon they are replacements?

Well rats. I stand corrected and am still on the hunt for a CJ-165 being used prefessionally. The guitar in the photo is apparently a J-185, not a 165. Fooled me!

Well, at least it was a 185 for crying out loud! I still miss my CJ-165. It was rosewood b/s and it sounded fantastic. It is the only rosewood guitar that I wish I still had. I am sure the maple b/s version is equally fantastic.

Pic

Well rats. I stand corrected and am still on the hunt for a CJ-165 being used prefessionally. The guitar in the photo is apparently a J-185, not a 165. Fooled me!

Isn't the Emmylou Harris essentially a 165 with an SJ200 pickguard? I remember listening to an interview of her's a few years ago when she said just that. It was made especially for her because the 200s and 185s are too big for her.

Does that count?

Isn't the Emmylou Harris essentially a 165 with an SJ200 pickguard? I remember listening to an interview of her's a few years ago when she said just that. It was made especially for her because the 200s and 185s are too big for her.

Actually, she always plays a J-200 on stage, so I wouldn't say they're too big for her. But she wants a small guitar for some recording sessions and for playing around the house, and she used to use Martins for those purposes. The older L-1/2/3-shaped and newer CJ-shaped ELH models were intended to replace those Martins with a reasonable approximation of her iconic Gibson J-200s. (No reason why J-200-level bling is required for those applications, but some of us just like the looks of a J-200.)

-- Bob R

The 165 looks good in sunburst but I'm never sure that the finish is covering, lets say not the top quality wood.

Tonal quality has never been a consideration in whether a top gets sunburst or not, only cosmetics. Since cosmetics are pretty much irrelevant to tone -- although I've heard arguments that the best sounding tops are likely to have cosmetic flaws, I'm not convinced, and there's no reasonable argument that there's a positive correlation between looking good and sounding good -- the best sounding tops are more likely to be sunburst just because Gibson builds more sunburst guitars.

And, at least these days, it's not even the case that the prettiest tops go on non-burst guitars. Back in the days when there was an upcharge for a natural finish, the prettiest tops were reserved for natural-finished guitars. (At least that was the story used to justify the upcharge.) But that hasn't been the case for a long time for regular production models. The top that happens to be at the top of the stack of tops for a model almost always gets chosen for use on the next guitar, regardless of how it will be finished. So, now, the prettiest tops in the stack are more likely to be sunburst, again just because more tops are sunburst.

Arguments against sunbursts always seem to be based on some combination of bad information about how tops are selected, an unfounded belief that prettier tops sound better, an attitude that a cosmetic flaw you can't see because of a sunburst matters, and confusion between the probability that a top is cosmetically flawed given that it's sunburst (quite low) and the probability a top is sunburst given that it has a significant cosmetic flaw that sunbursting will hide (which is high, but the number of such tops used by Gibson is quite small). The most important reason for the widespread belief that sunburst tops are inferior is simply that people tell other people "everyone knows the tops on sunburst guitars are inferior". Some Typhoid Mary once said this for the first time, and the infection spread from there.

Think of it this way: Sunbursts are like makeup. Don't assume someone is ugly because she's wearing makeup. Maybe she's wearing that eyeshadow to hide the fact that she thinks her eyes are set too close together, but maybe she just thinks it looks nice. If you are worried that she may be using makeup to hide a cosmetic flaw, look carefully and it should be pretty obvious whether that's what's going on or not. If you can't tell, even after a close inspection, what difference does it make?

-- Bob R

P.S. I hope that eyeshadow and close-set eyes thing is right. If not, just change close-set eyes to whatever it is that eyeshadow is supposed to disguise.

Archived