Gibson Brands Forums

guitar speakers

damian

I will be upgrading guitar speakers in 4x4 cabinets, and I will be building 1x 12 sealed and 2x 12 cabinets, and I wish for advice on what to go with. These will primarily be used for recording, but will gig out as well. I use a variety of tube amps. Many styles; Blues, rock, indie, folk, and metal. Looking for advice from you all on brands, price points, reasons why, models, etc. Thank you. Example; Are Celestion Gold at $300.00 each hype, or worth it? Eminence Barkin Blues two for $260.00 a good choice? Why do some guitarists mix and match? What are the differences in wattages and how does that affect tone? Alinco vs Ceramic? What works for you and why? Any comments on the new Eminence Mavericks which have "modulater knobs"? Any experience with 10" speakers as 2x or 4x? Lets be serious and technical as well as short and/or long, and of course, humorous as it pleases you. Those who have read my 'replies' understand I am both serious and humorous. I own and use over fourty guitars, but prefer Les Pauls. Thank you, and all you threaders and shredders are awesome, and devastating cool beyond compare. I am retired fairly young, so all I do is study law and guitar ( mostly )...

I've had experience playing guitar through 2 4x10 Traynor cabs before. Ampeg V4 tube head.

The bottom end was very tight and focused. I've actually considered running an 8x10 cab with a 4x12 to see how that focused my tone.

Back in the late '80s when I was trying to get the uber lowend guitar sound, I ran a 4x12 on top of a Peavey black widow bass cab that had an 18 and 2 10s. Our other guitarist did the same thing but used a Vega 1x15 scoop cab under his 4x12 - the sound was very dark.

All I can say is experiment. There are a lot of speaker test videos on YouTube to help you zero in on a particular type, but it may take you some trial testing. Your cab construction can greatly effect how the speaker sounds as well.

There is so much involved in cab and speaker "science" it can seem overwhelming - good luck. You should also check out warehouseguitarspeakers.com, they make a quality speaker and price is easy on a budget.

Thankyou for your sage advice cabba2203. It is interesting that 10"s would produce a tight and focused low end; however multiples of tens does make sense. I will build a 2x10, or more likely a 4x10 sealed cabinet, in addition to the others. Aren't those Ampeg V-4 tube heads the same as the old VT-22 Combos? I had a couple of those years back. Guitar through an Ampeg 8x10 with a 4x12 sounds interesting and powerful (for you, not me!). Your other cabinet combinations sound interesting as well, and I understand your reasonings. I take it your style is loud and heavy, and probably very well done, and skillful. I will study YouTube speaker tests, cabinet 'science' and design. And I will check out warehousespeakers.com. I am retired at 47; I study law, guitar, and have my own recording studio, although it is being relocated; as such I am in no hurry. Once again, thank you greatly.[thumbup]

Much of the sound will depend on the amp(s) you use as well as the style of cabinet. You said a variety of amps and that is hard to narrow down a good "all round" speaker. What you will end up with will probably sound great with amp x, ok with amp y, and blah with amp z.

I guess a good all round speaker is the Celstian Vintage 30. I'm sure Emminence makes a comparable speaker for less. I hear nothing but good remarks for weber speakers - all makes.

I will admit to not being the most knowledgable when it comes to amp/speaker combos but will say I do like the Jensen Neo that is in my amp, granted its a 10" not a 12" but one or two guys I know with the 12's have had nothing but good to say about them also.

For GUITAREST; Thank you, an EV and a Greenback in a 2x12. Which one would you mike? I'm supposing the greenback for the tone, as I'd think you mixed the EV for the 'power' (?). And yes, I agree that the Mavrick with the 'modulater' sounds gimicky; after all, the basic guitar speaker design has worked well for over 50 years; good advice - Thank you GUITAREST.

For DJROGE; Celestion Vintage 30 - perhaps a top choice, seems to be a popular model, comes stocked in reputable combos and cabinets, I believe. Emminence as same quality but cheaper, hmmm. I'll check out Webers as you suggest; I've heard of them. I remember in my youth using EVs now that this thread sparks my memory. Thank you DJROGE.

For KEVIN 134; I hadn't even considered Jensons, I'll check out the Jenson Neo, I didn't realize NEOCONMAN had a 'signature speaker' named for him [thumbup] , perhaps he should be told about this eusa_clap.gif !!! I will be building a 2x10 and/or 4x10 cabinet due to Cabba2203's advice in addition to getting new 12"s. Thankyou Kevin. I hope this thread may become a good reference for others with similar questions. Bless you all !!! ( For some reason I had remembered Jensons as having a bad rep, but thats from old memories ).

Rather than start a new thread, I'm expanding this thread to include requests about opinions about the many 1x12 cabinets available pre-made-ie, by Jet City, Vox, Kustom, Blackstar etc. Same about opinions about low/medium power ( 5-25 ) watt tube heads that are finally available at reasonable prices, ie Egnator Tweaker, Jet City, Blackstar etc. I've already tried the TransAtlantic. This is connected to my speaker projects. For clarification, I only leave my abode once or twice a month ( or less ) these days due to severe PTSD. I trust your opinions will be of assistance for others as well. Thank you all...[thumbup]

got 4 celestions in an open back marshall style blues breaker cab.

it works for me.

raw, loud, yet crystal clean.

it's made me shape up on playing, no mud to cover up bad notes anymore.

Thanks; The census seems to favor celestions; or boutique brands....[thumbup]

Archived