Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone have an EE Custom LP

james_edward

Before you buy, please take some photos and send them to Gibson customer service. Most of the EE LP Customs that are out there are fakes so be very careful!

Unless you're 100% sure that it's genuine, don't buy it.

One of my students just bought a black one and it turned out to be a fake, I spotted it was a clone the minute I saw it and luckly the seller agreed to a refund.

Top 3 Things to look for:

1) Is the EE font bigger than the numbers in the serial number? - If Yes, Fake

2) Are the volume/tone knobs in a straight line compared to the neck or are they slanted? Slanted = Fake

3) Is the diamond headstock inlay off-center/crooked? If Yes, Fake

Gibson will tell you within 24 hours of receiving the photos if it's a fake or not, it's completely worth the hassle.

Good luck!

I have an EE serial number Alpine White custom that I bought new from a reputable dealer - American Musical Supply. Got it in February 2007, so they were at least making some of the customs at Quingdao at that point.

Thanks for the responses, I'm supposed to be looking at it on the weekend.

The seller gave me the serial number (which means nothing as far as I'm concerned) and I've seen pictures of the guitar. It looks pretty good, but when I asked for a close up picture of the back of the headstock, I hit a roadblock and got no reply.

Anyway, please let me know if anyone has a black EE07 custom LP that they bought from a legit establishment, thanks again for the refresher course in "spotting a fake in 3 easy steps", J.

I had a guy offer to sell me an EE07 (China) Les Paul Custom in black, but I've never seen one before, all the ones I've seen are - I (Indonesia) - what do you guys think, I thought Customs were all made in Indonesia...

I own an EE07xxx made in China LP Custom Black Beauty. So at least there *were* legit items of this model. Note this one is slightly modified, the pickups are Gibsons (pretty obvious for the P94 neck pickup) and I removed the pick guard.

epiphonelpcustom.jpg

Has he kept the bill of sale? For a relatively new guitar you'd hope the seller had kept proof of purchase.

There are a lot of cheap Epi LPs on ebay, especially customs. My worry is that there are a lot of people trying to offload unwise purchases from the unreliable sources. This also has to be driving down the price of the legit used Epi LPs as people tend to use eBay completed listings as a yardstick for the true used price. If you're buying and know what to look for then you can be on to a winner but if you're selling a legit LP.....

Alan

Archived