Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Jeff Beck Last Night

chrisnorthw

Went to see the guitarists guitarist Jeff Beck play at the Royal Albert Hall, London last night. Awesome playing by the maestro, never heard such control of a guitar before.

Jeff got the Oxblood Les Paul out for one number as a tribute to Les Paul doing "How high the Moon" with the Mary Ford vocals sung by Imelda May.

Seriously wonder if it's worth continuing to try and play guitar after seeing the Master at work!

If you ever get the chance to go see the man make sure you don't pass it by.

Anyone else out there caught him on his current tour?

I saw him in Cardiff on Monday.

He was, er, what's the word? Incredible? Amazing? Devastating? Magnificent? All of these things?

Oh yes. I also saw him in February at the O2 in London with Clapton. He was great then, but - to my mind he's less suited to a 20,000 seat "barn", than a "proper" theatre.

The Ox-blood came out in Cardiff too - and got a cheer when he showed it off!!!

Sparky, no it's an indoor venue built in 1871, probably holds 6000 or so, take a look at www.royalalberthall.com, it's a great place to see bands and a perfect venue for someone like Jeff Beck to play. Support act was a bit strange, a German Rockabilly outfit called the Baseballs who did a lot of covers including a rockabilly version of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", pretty surreal!

I think bands like to play Royal Albert Hall, acoustics are good and there is a bit of prestige attached to playing one of the oldest and most famous London Concert Halls.

Sparky, no it's an indoor venue built in 1871, probably holds 6000 or so, take a look at www.royalalberthall.com, it's a great place to see bands and a perfect venue for someone like Jeff Beck to play. Support act was a bit strange, a German Rockabilly outfit called the Baseballs who did a lot of covers including a rockabilly version of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", pretty surreal!

I think bands like to play Royal Albert Hall, acoustics are good and there is a bit of prestige attached to playing one of the oldest and most famous London Concert Halls.

Yes odd choice of support...but then again Jeff is open-minded, a huge rockabilly/Cliff Gallup fan.... [rolleyes]

:-({|=

Doing everything I can to see him the next time he comes around Boston.

"Performing This Week...Live At Ronnie Scott's" could be my favorite concert film. The venue looks like the Cavern club (kinda) and Jeff's playing is nothing short of stellar. The tones he pulls from that strat and his fingers is surreal.

• 4 months later...

Went to see the guitarists guitarist Jeff Beck play at the Royal Albert Hall, London last night. Awesome playing by the maestro, never heard such control of a guitar before.

Jeff got the Oxblood Les Paul out for one number as a tribute to Les Paul doing "How high the Moon" with the Mary Ford vocals sung by Imelda May.

Seriously wonder if it's worth continuing to try and play guitar after seeing the Master at work!

If you ever get the chance to go see the man make sure you don't pass it by.

Anyone else out there caught him on his current tour?

Hey Man,

After seeing the video of him Live at Ronnie Scotts -my jaw dropped!!!

I've always loved this guy and hadn't seen anything for some time

after his last 6 or so albums-was absolutely blown away

Saw him in Melbourne Australia live last year and absolutely mind blowing

His bass guitarist-the young girl is from OZ!!!

Love his new album just released recently emotion and commotion

I personally prefer Gary Moore, but then who's to say who's better than who

I too felt like -what's the point- but there can only be one Jeff and one Gary and one Jimmy and so it goes on

Keep playing dude, "Music for the Masses"

cheers, Mick from OZ!!!msp_thumbup.gif

It's great to see Jeff active and pushing boundaries still

I believe his strengths are in eclectic tastes as well as a firm grounding in 50's R&R

His tone is personal and fat....I believe almost entirely finger picked

And his hearing problems are well documented....

The 'Yardbirders' still seem to rule the roost !!

V

:-({|=

Archived