Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pickups

Shabbar3

Hey guys, i own a Epi G400 and i really love the gibson sg as well, it just wasnt in my budget. So i was wondering how much it would cost (including repair) to get the gibson pickups and how much i can sell my old ones for. Any ideas. And i want the pickups from the modern gibson sg.

Here's a link to looking at the pups, Gibson Pickups

New it looks like from $120-200. I've seen some on ebay for about $100 or less. You need to figure out which model you want and just look for a deal!

I really can't say what a tech would charge to install them, I do all my own guitar work, and if you have a little mechanical ability and tools and a soldering iron you can do it yourself. There's some posts on the forum explaining the procedure.

"brianh" here on the forum does a lot of guitar work, you might PM him and see what he charges.

One other thought is that you can find Gibby pickups that people remove in favor of "upgrades" for sale on eBay, Craigslist and other classified ads. If you are willing to be patient and diligent you can always find a good deal. I never buy "new" anything except strings and picks. [cool]

I got Gibson 490r/498t combo pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard from ebay for less than half the price of new ones and they were flawless. I did the work myself and it was really easy. It was my first time swapping pickups so I did follow all the steps from here.

Gibson pickups swap

Make sure you get the screws with the gibsons pickup because they are not the same size. The Epiphone screws will not fit in the Gibson pickups.

Dennis

Do they have to be Gibson pickups?

Gibson= $120. each

Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio= $65. each (with a much wider selection of models)

Your guitar isn't gonna sound twice as good just because you paid twice as much for the pickups, and it isn't gonna sound any more like a real Gibson just because you put Gibson pickups in it.

Do they have to be Gibson pickups?

Gibson= $120. each

Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio= $65. each (with a much wider selection of models)

Your guitar isn't gonna sound twice as good just because you paid twice as much for the pickups, and it isn't gonna sound any more like a real Gibson just because you put Gibson pickups in it.

GOOD POINT! Myself, I've had Gibson Les Pauls that I removed the "T" Tops from and installed Dimarzio Super Distortions because the stock pups just didn't have the drive I needed for the style I play. All a matter of personal preference. Just do your homework, check out the pups you're considering and maybe play some guitars that have those types in them before buying. Good luck!

Archived