Gibson Brands Forums

His is bigger than mine!!

frenchie1281734003

I`ve got a really nice 1994 Gibson J-100Xtra, with the Mahogany back & sides, in terms of looks and tone, it`s a stunning guitar. My friend was so impressed he had to have one too, and after a bit of a search he found a beaten, but good 93 model, which I offered to sort out for him. I have had the guitar all weekend, and done a bit of servicing on it (A good clean, sort out the neck relief, put in a new saddle and bridge pins, and set up the action & intonation). At one stage I decided to do a side by side comparison, and it was whilst they were side by side on my sofa, that my wife said "His is bigger than yours"! I said "Don`t be silly, it must be an optical illusion". With that I got out my rule, and sure enough his is a 16th wider across the top bout, an 8th wider across the lower bout, and a 16th wider front to back all around! I couldn`t believe it I thought these things were made in jigs, so what`s happened here?

I`ll post a photo later.

Steve.

Men and the size of their.....(fill in the blank)

Good thing you didn't have a J-200 there, it is 100 bigger. LOL.....They DO get bigger when you play with them.....(heat and expansion of the wood), make sure all conditions are the same before you pull them out and compare next time.

could be that they have more than one jig.... could be the wood on one expanding more due to heat and humidity. either is possible given how small the difference is. i measured mine. instead of depth at the bouts (because they are constantly tapered and hard to find the perfect spot) i measured depth at the heel, and the back strap button. my width measurements were done across the back.

12 3/8" across upper bout

16 7/8" across lower bout

3 3/4" deep at heel

4 3/16" deep at strap button

10 3/16" across waist

21" long from neck heel to bottom at strap button

mine is a 2006 bubinga model. my house is a bit cool right now and the guitar was pulled fresh from the case to measure.

Archived