Gibson Brands Forums

Wilshire Cracked Fingerboard

Jimmy Pages

Hi everyone,

Last year I bought me a new Wilshire Limited Edition (new model) that I have not used that much since I have other guitars. Anyway, while doing a string change I noticed a crack on the last lower fret that runs for two frets. I contacted Epiphone (Gibson) regarding the waranty and they told me they don't fix Epiphones since the repair and shipping cost is more than the value or cost of the guitar.

Very disapointing answer (for me, at least) So my answer for whoever reads this is: Will it reduce the value of the guitar? Will it affect on the tone or playavility? Can I just do the fix by myself with some adhesive or glue?

I love the looks and feel of this guitar and sure like to play it more often. Now I don't know if this will affect me.post-26832-067545200 1288807362_thumb.jpg

Pic >

I read the warranty, and there is nothing there regarding not repairing it,or replacing the instrument with one of equal value.

That being said, the way the warranty reads, it is not worth the paper it is written on. Seems to only protect Epiphones interests and not the consumer.

They would probably claim this fingerboard crack is due to wear and tear, or accidental damage.

Playability- you may notice the string catching in it when you bend.

By no means am I a luthier.....but I am thinking it might be able to be filled with a mix of rosewood dust and Super Glue. Or....fill it with Super Glue, sand it level, then use one of those brown furniture markers- the ones you can buy at Home Depot to hide wood blemshes. Color may not match and may look obvious.

Just a thought for a repair...and my opinion on the warranty!

The Epiphone warranty reads:

Your new Epiphone instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.

If at any time this Epiphone instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship, Epiphone will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate at its sole discretion. Epiphone reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, Epiphone will replace the instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

Personally, I'd try to push the issue with the dealer, and/or Gibson before attempting any repairs, which would probably void the warranty. It would be much easier for them to replace the guit than to repair it, and it wouldn't take nearly as long, not to mention you'd have a new unit instead of a fixed one. So go for that, if possible.

The Epiphone warranty reads:

Your new Epiphone instrument is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the original retail purchaser, subject to the limitations contained in this warranty.

If at any time this Epiphone instrument malfunctions as a result of faulty materials or workmanship, Epiphone will repair the defect(s) or replace the instrument, as it deems appropriate at its sole discretion. Epiphone reserves the right to use materials regularly utilized at the time of repair in the event that original materials are no longer available. If replacement of your instrument is deemed appropriate by our staff, Epiphone will replace the instrument with one of the same or most similar style of a value not in excess of the original purchase price of your instrument.

Personally, I'd try to push the issue with the dealer, and/or Gibson before attempting any repairs, which would probably void the warranty. It would be much easier for them to replace the guit than to repair it, and it wouldn't take nearly as long, not to mention you'd have a new unit instead of a fixed one. So go for that, if possible.

+1

Yeah, if what you say, about not playing it much, is true..and it's never been bumped or dropped,

then I'd say really push the dealer/authorized repair service, about making good in the "warranty!"

In that case, it sounds like faulty materials or workmanship, or both. Otherwise, why would it

crack?

The other option, is to take it to a qualified Luthier, have him/her repair it, and Rock On! It may

"void" the warranty (unless it's an Epiphone/Gibson authorized repair person), but if they're not going

to honor their warranties, anyway...who cares?!

But, try the dealer/authorized repair, First. Good Luck!!

CB

Archived