Gibson Brands Forums

Heretic's Newly Relic'd Goldtop

brianh

Supersonic101,

Fake. Painted and hand-striped .022mf Mojotone PIO caps. I ain't tryin' to fool nobody. Just having a laugh.

-- heretic

Your hands must be much steadier than mine to hand paint little details like that.

Lovely looking guitar heretic, I've really got a thing for dark backed goldtops, my gt has the light coloured mahogony back.

Hungrycat,

Okayyyyyy... Just finished tracing the original (but not period correct) pickguard to send to Pickguard Heaven for fabrication.

Picky picky picky. You guys are merciless on the new guy.

Oh wait...I volunteered for this abuse.

Sorry BrianH, but the GT isn't ready for her "close up" because it takes 3 weeks to get the right pickguard.

I kid because I care. This forum rules!

--heretic

Hungrycat,

Okayyyyyy... Just finished tracing the original (but not period correct) pickguard to send to Pickguard Heaven for fabrication.

Picky picky picky. You guys are merciless on the new guy.

Oh wait...I volunteered for this abuse.

I kid because I care. This forum rules!

--heretic

LOL! I've never been a fan of the beveled guards on Epis, I put an un-beveled one on my LPC. I was gonna suggest a Gibson Historic guard, since the color matches the pickup covers and the binding better, but custom is nice too. Until then... Be Wild. Go Guardless. [lol]

Hungrycat,

OK...this is getting freaky. After the last post, I found a Gibson Historic guard on sale which cost less than the "custom" made one. Then, I researched REAL '56s and found pics of the backside. Dam# it, man, I have the WRONG control covers, too. The originals were Bakelite brown...ewwwww...ordered the Gibson black ones.

...and if your gonna bust my stones about the switch tip color...I'll have you know that that particular item is an original Switchcraft from a late '50s Silvertone. It's kinda off-white/ivory, not the "dipped-in-coffee" yellow.

RaSTuS... I saw this, today: Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop Darkback VOS

— heretic

Hungrycat,

OK...this is getting freaky. After the last post, I found a Gibson Historic guard on sale which cost less than the "custom" made one. Then, I researched REAL '56s and found pics of the backside. Dam# it, man, I have the WRONG control covers, too. The originals were Bakelite brown...ewwwww...ordered the Gibson black ones.

...and if your gonna bust my stones about the switch tip color...I'll have you know that that particular item is an original Switchcraft from a late '50s Silvertone. It's kinda off-white/ivory, not the "dipped-in-coffee" yellow.

Oh no, I'm not some sort of vintage nut...I just like all the plastics to match. (It drives me up the wall that the back plates on my Elite Goldtop are black, and not cream like the guard and rings and etc.) The switch tip and ring are far enough away from the pickups that as long as they match each other it will look good (in my opinion, of course).

When I redid my Les Paul Custom, I got a good deal on Gibson Historic guard and rings, which match the binding really well. I'm just not a fan of the bevel on single-ply guards. The original 3 ply black would have looked fine, but it was absent when I bought it.

Archived