Gibson Brands Forums

Hex keys...

Jergin01

I hope someone can help me. I have an Epiphone Special GT II. The guitar came with some Hex Keys and I am trying to buy some to replace them. The problem is I have no clue on what sizes they are since the keys are not marked. I think they are metric since everything else on this guitar is metric. Can someone please tell me if the keys are standard and metric and what the actual sizes are so I can buy the right keys? Thanks.

Any good hardware store (like Lowe's) will have inexpensive sets of keys in both standard and metric. They usually come in a plastic holder. I have about a hundred of those cursed little things laying around and can never find the right size. I bought a set of each at Lowe's and I'm trying to train myself to put them back when I'm done with them (difficult for a workbench slob like me).

I don't recall what I paid for them but I'm pretty sure it was under $10 a set. As hex keys go, they are cheap, but they are much better quality than the ones that typically come with guitars.

heres a tip for you if the ends are a bit loose ........grind them back. ive been doing that for years at work and have the same set for 15 years used daily.

LOL ... thought I was the only guy doin' that!!! heh [biggrin]

The hex keys I use on my mountainbikes see a lot more use, and do indeed get the treatment as needed.

Archived