Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody an iPod guru?

Riffster

My wife's 80GB iPod classic maybe kicking the bucket.

- iPod is working but is acting up.

- iTunes freezes when this iPod is plugged in.

- iTunes does not recognize this iPod, the page that should show the detail on this iPod is simply not there.

- I have tried to partition the iPod but Windows will not have it, it does not fully recognize it. The little iPod logo is there but click on it and it will all freeze.

- I have resett the iPod using the click wheel controls but this does not fix the problem.

Any way to fully reset this thing after having tried the above? I knwo you can reset it through iTunes but I can't get to that page.

That page does not appear when I plug this iPod anymore. You know when it says reset to factory or something long those lines.

It does show with my iPod so it is not the system or iTunes that is messed up.

Have you been keeping up with the ITunes updates?

I still have an old-school 20GB in one of my cars. I had similar problems once and had to totally erase it and start over. Since then it's been working like a charm - even though it's a dinosaur in tech years. However, we've been a Windows free household for some time now so I don't know how to address that specifically.

Have you been keeping up with the ITunes updates?

Yea, it is all up to date. I have an iPod Touch that has to use iTunes 10.

I wil try to reset it from the iPod menu. Or plug it into a MAc and see if I can re-format it as a drive or something.

We have a new iPod on the way, a Classic with 160GB because my wife cannot be without music but I still want to fix the old one to use at the beach where it usually gets trashed.

Try a different cable.

I did but nothing. Frankly I felt like I tried everything but I never went to the menu of the actual iPod to see the different alternatives to reset. I see that my iPod Touch has several, I will have to see what the options of the problem iPod are.

A girl at the Apple store told me the expected life of a hard disk based iPod is 2 years..??

My wife's iPod is almost 3 years old but the battery still holds real well so I definitely want to save it if possible, they say once you get a frowny face on the screen that is when the iPod is kaput.

A girl at the Apple store told me the expected life of a hard disk based iPod is 2 years..??

Guess I got lucky with my old 20 gig. It's older than some members of the forum! (Well okay not quite. But it was born in 2003)

Well, I think I know what is going on.

I can barely browse through the menu of the iPod since it freezes but I did find out the iPod is full, as in 0 Kbytes available, I am sure this is what is messing it up.

I know how much music we have but I did not keep in mind my wife had downloaded all of the Harry Potter audio books and to my surprise that took a lot of space.

Well, I think I know what is going on.

I can barely browse through the menu of the iPod since it freezes but I did find out the iPod is full, as in 0 Kbytes available, I am sure this is what is messing it up.

I know how much music we have but I did not keep in mind my wife had downloaded all of the Harry Potter audio books and to my surprise that took a lot of space.

Bingo, that sounds like your problem. [biggrin]

Archived