Gibson Brands Forums

Leonig Meteor shower

ChanMan

Glad to see some interest in Astronomy. I have to correct Chanman though. A meteor storm would be something to see indeed !

A meteor storm! The very term makes an honest stargazer's heart beat faster. While a good meteor shower, like the Perseids, may show 50-60 meteors every hour, a meteor storm sprays shooting stars at a rate of hundreds or thousands an hour. During a spectacular storm in 1833, the sky seemed to "fill with falling fire" for nearly half the night.

While spectacular, a meteor storm, which comes in at #5 on our "Bucket List for Backyard Stargazers", may be the most difficult to see because they are extremely brief and rare.

But take heart. NASA is already preparing to deal with a possible outburst next year from a usually lacklustre shower in Draco. And since such events are hard to predict, there may be more opportunities in the coming years. One thing for sure... if you do see a meteor storm, you'll never forget it.

This is an excerpt from " One Minute Astronomer " That I get emailed to me a couple times a week.

Glad to see some interest in Astronomy. I have to correct Chanman though. A meteor storm would be something to see indeed !

A meteor storm! The very term makes an honest stargazer's heart beat faster. While a good meteor shower, like the Perseids, may show 50-60 meteors every hour, a meteor storm sprays shooting stars at a rate of hundreds or thousands an hour. During a spectacular storm in 1833, the sky seemed to "fill with falling fire" for nearly half the night.

While spectacular, a meteor storm, which comes in at #5 on our "Bucket List for Backyard Stargazers", may be the most difficult to see because they are extremely brief and rare.

But take heart. NASA is already preparing to deal with a possible outburst next year from a usually lacklustre shower in Draco. And since such events are hard to predict, there may be more opportunities in the coming years. One thing for sure... if you do see a meteor storm, you'll never forget it.

This is an excerpt from " One Minute Astronomer " That I get emailed to me a couple times a week.

My source was a web article that stated that the Leonid Showers produced so many meteors that they were often considered a meteor storm.

Could be semantics, could be misinformation, probably irrelevant to notifying the board that they could go see some cool stuff in the sky.... :D

leonid-meteor-shower-november-2009.jpg

Rocketman...

I do now, thanks!!

I DO have a really nice telescope that came with sky tracking software (with a USB interface that connects a PC to the telescope). It's pretty wicked, but a lot of work to get set up.

For anyone who is a skywatcher, looks like the Geminids will be active on the night of Dec 13, with the moon setting MUCH earlier at midnight.

Archived