Gibson Brands Forums

Reliable failure

NeoConMan

Ah, the good old days...

I did the crane gig for more than a dozen years.

German machines were top-notch, especially Liebherr cranes like this one.

Guess this one wasn't as reliable as advertised.

crane-fail.jpg

Curious to know what caused this one, the computer system has to be fooled into letting it happen.

There's a "black box" called the LICCON that tracks all the operating parameters, so the insurance company's gonna know.

The Broderson carrydecks were involved in a LOT off accidents in the plants around Houston.

They're everywhere, and tough little machines, so people try to move the world with them.

If you flip it, you're only inches from your work so you might be UNDER it.

Side note - Another Olde Timer operator and myself nearly lost our feet due to a novice operator on one.

At our office!!!

We walked up to pick some piece of iron off the deck and lay it on the ground for him and save him the trouble of craning it.

While we were standing next to the machine and picking it up by hand, he decided to put the outriggers down.

On our feet.

Near miss for us both.

Operator simply wasn't thinking, and was gonna use the outriggers as a parking brake before he shut it off.

We NEVER parked any machines there, so we had no inkling what he was doing, and he said nothing to warn us.

I do computer tech support (systems admin) on what's now classified as Large Midrange Systems. I worked primarily on systems for "bigtime" financial companies (Banks, Brokerage Houses, even spent time with the company that handled the Transaction Processing for the NY and American Stock Exchanges).

The systems I worked on at the Brokerage Houses (1985-1995) processed Mortgage Backed Securities.. [scared]

This wasn't a computer failure Per Se but one of the geeeeeeniuses was losing money (interest rates were rising eating up profits). He decided it was a goooooood idea to buy about $800,000,000 more of the sh1tty side of the securities (he bet on interest rates coming down). Interest rates went up (oops).

Up until the little "glitch" in 2008, his $250,000,000 (about 1/2 Billion in today's money) one day loss was the biggest in Wall St. history.

I'd lose my 26 yr. career for photo'ing anything to do with my employer, but a failure in the department I spent 22 yrs in usually meant violent explosions, furnace roofs landing somewhere besides where they belong, the entire area being engulfed in flames and occasionally windows being shattered inside the building by the blast wave.

A friend of mine spent 6 months in the University of Alabama (Birmingham) burn unit with 3rd and 4th degree(4th= cooked bone marrow)burns to 40% of his body. Lacerations and broken bones were common, as were "minor" burns.

I had a "minor" burn once that covered 1/3 of the bottom of my foot, the flesh, muscle, and most connective tissue were turned to yellow smoke, only gristle and bone left....after 5 months of daily medical care it was completely healed, and I even got to keep the 2 outer toes that the Dr. told me daily for the 1st 2 months he'd have to amputate at the 1st sign of infection.

A failure in the department i've been in the last 4 years would mean turmoil in the precious metals, and possibly stock markets, as I work for the world leader in the recycling of platinum group metals from auto and industrial catalysts. I perform the final prep on over a ton a day(average) and package it for shipment.

Archived