Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar Identification

mcstrums

Hi I'm a newbie to the forum. I could use some help identifying a guitar. I know its a 2005 Gibson thinline archtop. I need to know what model it is. I have scoured the web...nothing..can't even find a pic of it. Would appreciate any help with idenitfying this guitar. Will attempt to post some pics.

I'm no wiz at this, but I'm glad to see the Customer Service Team person chime in here... I'm not sure what he/she'd say, but this guitar just looked "off" to me and I was hesitant to say so.

Pointing out Why is sort of a Catch-22: there were inlay, binding, parts and overall shape issues to my non-expert eye... but being more specific could help the counterfeiters do better! [unsure]

I'm no wiz at this, but I'm glad to see the Customer Service Team person chime in here... I'm not sure what he/she'd say, but this guitar just looked "off" to me and I was hesitant to say so.

Pointing out Why is sort of a Catch-22: there were inlay, binding, parts and overall shape issues to my non-expert eye... but being more specific could help the counterfeiters do better! [unsure]

I build acoustic guitars and know them inside out. I have never built an archtop (yet), but I'm still not convinced its a fake. This thing is very well constructed and plays like a dream. If someone has intentionally built this as a fake, I can't beleive someone with that kind of talent would even waste their time.

I build acoustic guitars and know them inside out. I have never built an archtop (yet), but I'm still not convinced its a fake. This thing is very well constructed and plays like a dream. If someone has intentionally built this as a fake, I can't beleive someone with that kind of talent would even waste their time.

I agree with customer service. The headstock and binding tipped me off to it. The counterfeiters are getting better though.

The cut of the "open book" headstock was a giveaway. The lopsided cut is most noticeable on the backside headstock pics. The stamped pup covers look a little dodgy, but that may be a phtot artifact.

Back in the 80's, some of the high end Japanese houses knocked off Gibsons to a "T". And they were actually not half bad guitars! Here's a "Greco" that's a good example.

Hopefully, your seller will do the right thing.

post-25890-040551500 1291090349_thumb.jpg

The cut of the "open book" headstock was a giveaway. The lopsided cut is most noticeable on the backside headstock pics. The stamped pup covers look a little dodgy, but that may be a phtot artifact.

Back in the 80's, some of the high end Japanese houses knocked off Gibsons to a "T". And they were actually not half bad guitars! Here's a "Greco" that's a good example.

Hopefully, your seller will do the right thing.

Thanx for the info. I believe once I tell them they will do whats right.

I would be interested...and probably many more too, if and when you consider building archtops... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Four things:

1. Binding on the headstock is not a feature on ES-335 reissues.

2. Although I like Speed dials on my ES-347, those are not a feature of the ES-335. This model should use the 'skirted knobs' for volume and tone. The pickup control tip is black, should be white and larger.

3. They aren't called ES-335 dot for nothing. This guitar has pearl inlays on the neck.

4. The head stock is different and has a more exaggerated 'open-book' look than true Gibsons.

Archived