Gibson Brands Forums

Randy Rhoads' former pupil gives exclusive interview to my mate Simon

Duende

My mate Simon, who is a film student, did an interview with an old pupil of Randy Rhoads' called Janet Robin. The original plan was to make a longer documentary. Unfortunately it fell through, but Janet gave permission to use her interview about her old mentor.

I did the music and Simon was excited as Randy's brother Kelle did the forward too! So it is sad it didn't get completed but it is great that there are some new interviews re Randy. This is just Janet and an except from my arrangement of a piece I am sure any Randy fans will recognise at the beginning briefly...and the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xZUm6Kicc

Cheers

Matt

That was really cool and interesting. I respect Randy Rhoads as a player, but i don't know a LOT of his work...cool to watch! Thanks Matt!

Hi John and cheers Jocko too

John, as he left us so young (25) there are only two Ozzy studio albums and Quiet Riot 1 and 2.

The later, although enjoyed by many for the playing of a fledgling guitar wizard, are not considered by many (me included) to be great in the song writing department.

The best album if you haven't got it is The Tribute. This is a live album and the album many people say "ah I can see what all the fuss is about!" LOL. Paul Gilbert said something along the lines that he heard Blizzard Of Ozz (the first Ozzy album) and was quite unmoved by it. When he heard the same songs live though and saw how Randy and the band really sounded, he was blown away and got itmsp_thumbup.gif

The production is just a little stiff on Blizzard that is all, the musicianship though is of course great!!

The solos by Randy are all like songs within songs. There are no wasted notes and every note counts a bit like Peter Green - but of course in a different genre.

Matt

There are loads of other little stories that give you an idea what kind of back ground Randy came from. One day Janet said she was running late and Delores, Randy's mum, came and picked her up to bring her to their music school for her lesson with Randy.

She is a great player in her own right too! Bare with this, she starts off slow and then starts to smoke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8oMfK740c

Matt

Archived