Gibson Brands Forums

Rory Galagher tuning

awel

If this helps...

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/000931.html

Ray: So what tunings do you favour Rory, what are your most common ones?

Rory: Well, I use the standard tunings mostly, like Earl Hooker or Muddy Waters - open D, open G and A. The G tuning is probably the most usable you know. Keith Richards has always done a lot of work with this open G tuning. There's a song of mine that I do called "Ghost Blues" where I use it. I like it a lot that one, the G.

Keith takes his bottom string off and uses the fifth string as his root note, but I like to have the fifth string there, cause you almost get an African type 'over-tone', John Hammond uses it, and there's a great John Lee Hooker one you can get, and like you get those great suspended-type things. The thing is, it's so simple, and I think that's what Keith likes about it so much - it's real simple, but like, nobody else thought of it but him you see, not back then. He's developed it into a real style of playing, not just for slide guitar.

What I think I've done is developed this kind of tuning which is mine. It's bluesy, it's folkish, and Celtic as well, and sometimes on stage I'll take this tuning and go into an Irish tune called "She Moves to the Fair", which you can play great in that particular tuning.

He mostly used standard, open D and open G. He also liked using DADGAD.

He used standard on "Cradle Rock." Used to use open D for "As the Crow Flies" and DADGAD for "Out on the Western Plain," and open E on "Too Much Alcohol." He used open G on "Nothing But the Devil." Open A on "Bullfrog Blues." Live, though, he couldn't be counted on to play songs in the same tunings or in the same keys as he did in the studio. He occasionally adapted some of the songs he played in standard for open tunings that he could use live (for instance, "Banker's Blues" was done in standard on Blueprint, but when he played it live he often did it in open G.)

That's all I remember about Gallagher's tuning habits--hope it helps you out. [thumbup]

I had the pleasure of seeing Rory live in (I think) '77-ish.

Unbelievable performer - clearly a bloke who just played becausee he loved playing.

Saw him once around that same time (Winter '76 I think), and also once in the late 1980's or early 90's. Still IMO two of the best live shows I've ever seen. And I've seen a bunch!

Archived