Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of guitar do you like more?

Thundergod

cant agree with the more neck surrounded by wood the better the sound, playing a dc special at the moment which is a neck with a body attached! and it sings! there is more bass response from a single cut, if you love it it will love you back! how about one of each and then another one the same set up for slide? . . . please?

I see some of you guys think it's stupid (not meant as an insult) to chose guitars based in the number of horns/cuts they have instead of focusing on tone and playability... I see your point BUT my point is, if you don't like how a guitar looks chances are you won't pick her up.

I really don't care for strats or superstrats, those I own are spectacular players with good tone, but still I hardly ever play 'em. And everytime I go into a store I go check all LPs, SCs and Teles first, sometimes I leave without checking any strat, sg, dc, v, x, whatever. [cursing]

So IMO looks do matter, I have yet to see a guy who enters a store and picks up the guitar that he finds more ugly of the bunch.

Discuss! [thumbup]

Thundergod...

30 years ago I probably would have agreed with you.

Now... I guess the older I get the less interested in looks and the more interested in playability I've become. As I've written before, I like Gibson necks in general and don't care for "F" or Martin necks. I've dumped excellent instruments in the past because I was too stupid to care about that playability. Alas, for example, for my orange Gretsch and Hagstrom solidbody 12.

I do see your point on wanting a guitar that hits your aesthetic as opposed to an "ugly" guitar. OTOH, I think a D-35 Martin is gorgeous, and I think it sounds wonderful, but I'll take a generic Gibson jumbo over it any day. In fact, were I to be playing an acoustic a lot for money, I'd almost certainly start with an Epi, then perhaps a big Gibson.

The Tele sound is fine; I don't object to the looks and I appreciate that the volume control can be run during playing with the pinkie as Roy Buchanan and others. I just don't play what I play comfortably at all on the "F" neck.

m

While I certainly understand neck shape preferences, I too, have

played long enough, and own a wide enough variety of guitars and neck

shapes, that it doesn't take much time, to adapt comfortably, to

any of them. So, that particular thing isn't a major concern, to me.

But...Tone, unplugged and plugged, IS. And, yes..."looks" are, too.

Like Thundergod mentioned...if I don't like the look of it, I won't

even bother picking it up, to play/try out. But, we all have our

preferences, and "quirks." That's what makes it interesting. [smile]

CB

Have to agree it's all just about the tone I need at the time. As I've stated on other threads, my Carvin CS6 is my most versatile guitar and thus the one I play the most. I don't play it the most, nor did I buy it, just because it has that incredible flamed KOA top or because it's a single cut. KOA makes a really different very warm and dark [but in a good way] tone. Shredders and metal heads probably wouldn't like it. The eye candy and uniqueness just come along for the ride. Having a relieved heel tung oiled neck adds to the playability and hence tone as well.

But, there are times where I must have that specific Strat tone, or Les Paul growl, or the clean warmth or dirty power chords of my Lifeson. And if I ever get her done, I've got specific uses in mind for the tri-pup custom Tele-clone I'm building right now and it ain't chicken picken, not that there's anything wrong with that . . .

All this said, I wouldn't buy or build an ugly guitar and don't get me started on the pre-beat up "relic" thing again or we'll be here all night.

Archived