Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson

CRock

Do my eyes deceive me? or is that a tortoise shell bridge? Maybe it's just highly figured wood.

A guitar of this vintage? I'd find several luthiers competent in vintage restoration, then get references and see what kind of work they have in process, maybe even visit their shop. Probably best to take a friend who is knowledgeable of guitars.

Probably the best looking, restoration would be to replace the bridge as opposed to trying to hide the holes left by removing the screws. However, there is a thought that the, at the time, well intentioned bridge repair was done by a family member and ought to, since this is an heir loom, be left alone. The unique figure of the bridge wood and, yes screws, identifies this as 'grandpas' guitar. I would liken it to ripping out part of grandma's needlepoint work so as to correct her spelling.

Everyone else has pinned down the year and model pretty acurately, but I'd like to comment on the bridge. It is clearly Brazilian rosewood, and it has also moved slightly from its original position.

The bolts were probably put in after the bridge pulled loose, but the bridge footprint and position relative to the pickguard indicate that it is now crooked, and the guitar probably has serious intonation problems as a result.

The original bridge probably could and should be saved, but it needs expert intervention. It's no good as an heirloom if it isn't also a good-playing instrument. The guitar deserves expert attention, and I really mean "expert".

ive decided to just keep it for now, so I have a family heirloom for my great grand kids to enjoy someday. I just need to know anyone's recommendations for repairing the bridge and getting some body work done. I live near lancaster, pa. any good people you guys know of? theres a guitar center in lancaster, would you guys say to go there? Thanks

I don't know of anyone there, but I do know NOT A BIG BOX like Guitar Center for repair. You could maybe check into Gibson Nashville to do some work & repair on it. Other Master Luithers around the country may be known to other forum members with vintage guitars.

A real beauty, don't be tempted to part with it. It means something to your family history, money doesn't mean anything esp. after it's been spent.

Aster

• 6 months later...

Find Gibson repair site from Nashville. Give them a detailed discription of the problem .... send pictures .... send this thread. The more information they have the more accurate an estimate they will give you. Their estimate will be on the high end but then you will know. Shipping cost will be about $75-$100 if you insure the heck out of it, and you should. You don't have to use them but that will give you a start. I've had work done there and the outcome was most excellent. Don't cheap out on this one .... you have a rare gem.

Archived