Gibson Brands Forums

Quartz vs Digital Tuners

DanvillRob

I have dozens of tuners, including pitch pipes and tuning forks. About 30 years ago I bought a Sieko Quartz tuner. Over the years, I find that it's the one I prefer, so I've kept it in my "bag", while the other tuners have been assigned to various guitar cases.

I recently decided I wanted Quartz tuners for each of my acoustic guitars, (at least), so I set out on a search. I figured if I could find some of these old tuners for @ $15, I'd buy a couple.

So far, I've bought 5 of them on ebay, (one got dropped and broke before it was shipped to me), so in addition to my original quartz tuner, I have similar tuners in the cases for the Dove, DIF and Jubilee. I bought an "extra" for when I get my 'Bird.

Am I the only one who has this preference?

!B7RpYVgBGk~$(KGrHqN,!i8EzNhjzS+qBMzvEC!GI!~~-1_3.JPG

I've been using a Seiko Chromatic Tuner, ST-747 for several years. It works great.

The one in the picture is the last one I bought. I really like them too. The digital ones seem too "sketchy" to me.

I do like my clip on digital tuner. I use it to tune my piano. I just clip it on the harp and it measures all the notes, not just EADGBE.

I like them for my non-electric instruments.

But for the electrics it's either the TU-2 or the tuner feature of the Tonelab LE.

I really like them for the electrics... 'cause I can just plug in, and get a very accurate reading. With the acoustics, you have to aim the sound hole towards the "mic" area.

I really like them for the electrics... 'cause I can just plug in, and get a very accurate reading. With the acoustics, you have to aim the sound hole towards the "mic" area.

I greatly dislike having to unplug from the pedal chain, tune through my Seiko, then plug back in.

Also looks bad when performing, imo, and is much easier to use my inline digital tuners for that reason.

ymmv

With the acoustics, you have to aim the sound hole towards the "mic" area.

With my acoustics I used to use the AP Guitar Tuner and just set my headset on it with the mic in the sound hole. Quick and easy tune, it also had a lot of features I really liked.

Archived