Gibson Brands Forums

A little help over here

Luis Coll

Hey guys... well... i'm getting my first gibson on december... i'm traveling to the gibson factory in Tennesse, and i think i'm getting the les paul studio... but it comes with the hardcase, and a friend told me that if the guitar comes with hardcase i have to send it as lugage on the plane!... and i dot know if the guitar would be damaged or something... somebody knows?... a little help...

You could just have them ship to you home and not take it on the plane.

Try to carry it and check it at the door of the plane before you board. It will not go through the automated lines that way. When you deplane, they will bring it to you right at the ramp and it won't have luggage crashing down on it at the baggage claim area.

The guitar should be fine..but, standard cases are not designed to stand up to the inhumane treatment dealt out by baggage handlers....Cases not certified as Flight Certified may void any warranty as well. You could pack the guitar in it's case and then inside a cardboard box with padding and / or bubble wrap. An alternative is to ship it home seperately via UPS, but this would also require protection...Theft at Airports by baggage handlers is rampant, so, be careful.....If you are going to visit the factory, I strongly recommend upgrading your choice of LPs....if your budget allows...LP Studios are not the cream of the crop, not even close; just an idea.......

Check with your air carrier. Their website will tell you exactly what to expect when carrying on a guitar. They will either force you to check it or not. If you have to check it, switch air lines. A guitar case as well as snow skis, on some carriers, are exceptions to the length+girth limits. But you may have to follow some rules. It will be counted towards your allowable carry on baggage count. It may be taken from you at the cabin door, then stowed somewhere in the pressurized and climate controlled cabin. The usual haunts are the closets in 1st class. Don't expect access to it during the flight. Check the case's glove box for potential weapons. Fingernail files, clippers, wire cutters and the like. Not likely if this is a new axe.

PRINT THE WEBSITE PAGE that specifies the rules as some TSA inspectors don't know all the carry on rules of the carriers. Show the website page if they ask you to check it.

Also, as with shipping, detention the strings, then pack the headstock fairly tight. If a flight attendant should drop it to the floor, this will help avoid whiplash.

On one very rare flight I've heard of. My son flew from Chicargo to Austin to pick up a car. There was a guitar convention or other folk music festival in Austin that week-end. He said he was one of only a hand full who did not have a guitar. The guitar carriers had to hold them on the floor between their legs.

I have traveled with guitar cases without sending them with the lugaje. I've done it when traveling to the US and from the US so you should have no problem.

Most airlines have a section on their website where they tell you what kind of stuff you can carry with you, musical instruments are almost always mentioned.

Just make sure you're there early, as the upper containment will be full if the plane's full.

In august I went from Orlando to Miami (domestic flight) and from Miami to Guayaquil (international flight) with my gibson robot case with me the whole time, I placed it on top and there was no problem, no one even tried to tell me I couldn't bring my guitar into the plane. [thumbup]

Archived