Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing pickups on my ES-333: 2 or 4 conductors?

bluewaterpig

You'll only need 4 conductors if you're planning on some modding and adding coil taps as far as I know, some of our more technically proficient forums members may be able to elaborate or prove me wrong.

Yea I don't know what modding or coil taps means. I just wanna switch out the pickups straight up...

Yea I don't know what modding or coil taps means. I just wanna switch out the pickups straight up...

modding = modify

coil tapping = switching to single coil mode. Humbuckers are basically two single coils wired in series.

You should only need a 2 conductor.

I have an ES-333 (c. 2004) that I'm swapping the pickups out of. I'm planning on putting a 57 Classic in the neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge. My question is do I need to buy new pickups that have 2 or 4 conductors? Thanks.

The 2 conductor pickups will be a direct drop in replacement.

With 4 conductor pickups you can choose to wire them normally or add push-pull coil splitting potentiometers on the volumes and you would be able to swicth from humbucker sound to single coil sound by pulling the volume controls.

Go with the 2 conductor pickups then...There are also 57s for the bridge and 57s for the neck, same with Burstbuckers. And there are 3 models of Burstbuckers as well. Checkout PICKUP GUIDE GIBSON and TECH TIPS FOR GIBSON PICKUPS / MUSICIAN"S FRIEND.....Both sites will be helpful for you.....

Do you have an Epi 333 or a Gibson ES 333 ???

Great help. So 2 it is. Thanks very much guys.

By the way, is the installment pretty easy? I'm already pretty good with soldering. I'm planning on just opening it up on Christmas day and seeing where it's soldered and doing the same to the new pickups. Easy enough? Any advice?

Great help. So 2 it is. Thanks very much guys.

By the way, is the installment pretty easy? I'm already pretty good with soldering. I'm planning on just opening it up on Christmas day and seeing where it's soldered and doing the same to the new pickups. Easy enough? Any advice?

See my previous post and ask again.....

Can you kind of condense the types of 57 Classics and Burstbuckers?

The reason I want both is cause I want a nice thick jazz tone in the neck (57 Classic) and a BB/Clapton sound in the bridge (Burstbucker). Which would be best?

There are a bunch of different Burstbuckers, so you'll have to do some homework to figure out what you want. As far as 2 conductor vs four conductor pickups, your guitar can accomodate both types. The way your guitar is wired now - it has two conductors (wires) from each pickup wired to the volume controls. If you use a 2 conductor pickup (like most Burstbuckers), you'll just rewire the 2 new wires to the same places where the old ones were, making sure to solder the correct colored wires to the correct points. If you use a new 4 conductor pickup (like 57's and Burstbucker Pros), you'll hook two of them together and hook the other two up like a two conductor pickup. This arrangement is shown in the upper left corner of the third page of the wiring diagram below.

See here for pickup wiring diagram

Check this site out, it has info on changing electronics on a Gibby semi hollowbody...

http:forum.gibson....rades-complete/

That link got condensed or something...what was that site?

I hate to be a ****, but can somebody quickly summarize what the major differences in the Burstbuckers are? I'm trying to order one of these ASAP for Christmas and I can't find any solid info on them. I want my Burstbucker to have a bluesy, BB King type of 335 sound...

Since I don't know you or how much you know let me say that this is not going to be the easiest pick up swap due to the fact that it is a hollow body guitar.

It can be done, but it may test your patience.

I'm putting it into my ES-333, which is a semi-hollowbody. Why wouldn't it be easy?

I'm putting it into my ES-333, which is a semi-hollowbody. Why wouldn't it be easy?

On second thought, since it's only a swap out it won't be that difficult (my bad). My natural inclination is the swap capacitors too which would require more disassembly.

Sorry. It won't be difficult.

It's only soldering where the existing pickups are soldered correct?

I'm also looking for suggestions as to which pickup I should buy (maybe a Burstbucker isn't the way to go?). As I said, I'm putting a 57 Classic in the neck for a nice 335-ish jazz tone. I would like a bridge pickup that isn't too harsh but can provide a nice sweet BB King tone. Any suggestions?

It's only soldering where the existing pickups are soldered correct?

I'm also looking for suggestions as to which pickup I should buy (maybe a Burstbucker isn't the way to go?). As I said, I'm putting a 57 Classic in the neck for a nice 335-ish jazz tone. I would like a bridge pickup that isn't too harsh but can provide a nice sweet BB King tone. Any suggestions?

Yes you are only replacing the existing pickups.

I can't help you on your choice of Gibson pups - I replaced mine years ago... come to think of it they didn't even make either of those when I replaced them (not that I remember anyway... 1981/82).

To make a long story short, I may end up having to use the 57 Classic with 4 conductors on it. I know the pickups that I have right now are only 2 conductors but I've been told I can just pair 2 of the conductors together and treat it as if it were just 2. Is there going to be any tonal differences? Which 2 conductors do I pair together? I'm guessing they're on the same side?

To make a long story short, I may end up having to use the 57 Classic with 4 conductors on it. I know the pickups that I have right now are only 2 conductors but I've been told I can just pair 2 of the conductors together and treat it as if it were just 2. Is there going to be any tonal differences? Which 2 conductors do I pair together? I'm guessing they're on the same side?

Once you get the pickups you can ask for advice and the response should be more precise since you will be abel to see the colors on the cables, the cables are color coded of course.

Classic 57' and BurstBuckers 1, 2 and 3 have alnico 2 magnets, more vintage and darker sounding, more mellow tones.

BurstBucker Pros have alnico 5 magnets, brighter more defined vintage-modern sound.

The pickups should intstall easy, your ES333 has a cover in the back to access the pots right?

make sure you have a 40 watt soldering iron to me able to solder to the back of the pot, less power and you may have a hard time making that wire stick.

I'll be ordering the pickups online so that's why I'm asking here...

How about the differences between the Burstbucker 1 2 and 3? So far from what I've heard on YouTube I'm thinking I'll go with the Burstbucker 2 for my bridge. Sounds bright but not too harsh. I don't like any of the "modern" sounding pickups.

StiffHand gave you good advice.....BurstBucker II might do it for you.....I would go eith a 57 Classic in the neck and a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge..the plus is basically a 57 with a slightly higher output.....

I'll check that link out, see whats wrong...

Archived