Gibson Brands Forums

Blackstar amps

davidl

I'm toying with the idea of moving up the amp ladder from my current Line 6 Spyder IV and Crate V18. I've had the Line 6 for over 6 months and I still haven't really warmed up to it. Too many presets and effects. It seems every time I find a sound I like and save it, I somehow overwrite it with garbage. I engage the loop by accident and spend more time fiddling with it than playing with it.

The Crate works well but could be better. The reverb sucks if pushed a little.

I'm thinking a Marshall JMD series 50 watt. I play in a 500 square foot area. Is the 50 too much for the area? Will I be able to get the tubes really going? It is somewhat of a hybrid if I'm not mistaken.

My brother who is a pro musician keeps telling to go for a Blackstar. Designed and produced by previous Marshall engineers.

I'm open to suggestions here. I play LP's and a ES-339.

Budget would be in the $1000-$1500 range.

Thanks in advance folks.

Dave

I have a JMD and its a great amp even at lower volumes because of the way the digital and preamp tubes work together. Yes it has EL34's in it for power and they sound very nice at lower volumes and great at better volumes. I have the 50 watt half stack with greenback in the cab and the setup is great. I will warn ya the 6 way foot controller allows access to only 28 patches or channels although programming the amp is all hands on. I post over at the Marshall forum also and we have asked Steve D, designer of the jmd; to allow a interface between pc's and the amp. They know we want this and hopefully will happen soon.

On the Spider it allows for pc interface with the pedal board so I am confused how you can erase a patch without knowing it? Unless your trying to go manual on your programing. I agree with the not liking the tone on the spider also, I had a spider III 150HD and while it sounded great at home against records it suk'd playing against the band; it was a cold digital sound that I never warmed up to either. Sold it within 30 days and happily I didn't loose too much cash.

If you haven't yet try to play both the Blackheart and JMD together with your guitar. If you want a basic tone the Blackheart might win; the JMD is a beast if you love all Marshall tones.

Thanks Guitarest.

I'm thinking the problem may be with the pedal board. At times, the amp won't turn on at all with the board plugged in.

More traditional may be for me.

Dave

Dave, totally different but I think you should try a Blackheart. I have a Little Giant head/cab and a historic LP paired with it is tonal heaven. Check them out; not too expensive. I bought mine through AXE Music in Alberta.

50w is way too much for what you described. Do you play with drums? If not, you literally only need 1 - 5w.

Dave, totally different but I think you should try a Blackheart. I have a Little Giant head/cab and a historic LP paired with it is tonal heaven. Check them out; not too expensive. I bought mine through AXE Music in Alberta.

50w is way too much for what you described. Do you play with drums? If not, you literally only need 1 - 5w.

Hey Tim, thanks for your input.

Every now and then I do have a full drum kit, piano, multiple mics running through a PA. I do find that my Crate 18 watt tube amp has enough power even with a drum kit.

I'm looking for enough power to play the odd outdoor party but not too much for indoors. Tough balancing act.

Maybe 2 amps is the ticket.

I love having multiple guitars but don't really have room for multiple amps. No more than two I think.

Dave

Got to agree with R9 here try out some of the smaller amps they sound so good especially in the house or studio. I rarely play with my large amps anymore for exactly the reason a small amp just works better unless your playing and arena. If you do need to fill a larger venue with sound a small amp still works that's what a PA is for.

I still can't decide which of the small amps I like best between the Vox, Egnater, Blackheart or my current favorite a Mesa Transatlantic but I know they all get more play than my Slo100 which is just to much amp for smaller locations.

I feel ya, I do the same with my Pod XT Live and the X3 Live. One very cool feature on the Marshall JMD is a compare button that will let you compare tones on a channel/patch prior to committing the patch to save.

Yea, I seen you got one of those.

I am so jealous of you at this moment... smiley-angry009.gif

Archived