Gibson Brands Forums

SG Vintage

kuvash

I have an SG Vintage made in Korea Aug ,'03.I really like this guitar.It has a bound neck,Grover tuners,and so on.I tend to favor it over my teles.Sometimes I use it for slide so I find myself going back and forth between open G and std.tuning.I think that I am going to buy another for a dedicated slide guitar.I want another SG (not an LP)any comparisons betwen this one as it was made in Korea and the later models made in China?......it doesn't have to be a vintage or faded varity.

kuvash

Kuvash,

Well, I don't have a G 400 so I won't pretend that I know squat about them. (Although I have played a few)

I know a few forum members have them. I'm sure some have newer models and were made in China. Can't say that I've heard many complaints.

The two main ones seem to be the Vintage faded:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669

And the regular G400:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

At those prices they look like decent guitars.

I did notice that the vintage faded has a neck binding in the picture. I guess if I was going to order one I would call MF and make sure. (if it matters to you)

Do you live somewhere where you can not get to a store to try them out?

Both look like good guitars for the money.

Maybe others can be of more help.

Willy

Kuvash love my Sg even when it was standard.

It has Gibby 57's and Jimmy page wiring now with other bits and pieces also changed.

It is a Made in China, and I have had no problems at all, even the initial set up was great. Big recommendation from me

I've actually just given it a clean and new strings this morning, now to do the Dobro.

pb130118.jpg

Kuvash

SG Prophecy is also good it has a narrow speed taper neck, so if you prefer rounder 50's style necks it may not suit you.

The Gibby Dirty Fingers Pick ups they come with are full on output gear.

Definitely give one a try, especially if you want to get some screaming slide happening.

Again finish and setup were good off the shelf.

pb130117.jpg

Dobro restrung and cleaned, fretboard oiled.

put a set of light 10's on it coz i could.

tuned to DADF#AD does slide and works good on bending notes.

dont normally string it this light but eh it will be fun for a while.

Bigneil Im +1 with you, maybe Nashville tuning means having sex with your cousin while you play guitar, lol

Sorry fellas only joking.

Nashville typically involves using different than normal string gauges almost like using the higher octave set of a twelve string set.

I think a set up could be like .012, .016, .010, .014, .020, .030 high to low with the last four being an octave higher when tuned.

You almost get a 12 string tone from 6 strings.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me, but Eh I'm only an Ozzie

Archived