Gibson Brands Forums

tuners

Cisca

hi friends.

i wanna change the tuners on my epiphone les paul custom,but i want use the oroginal holes of the headstock and don't do others?

i'm searching tuners like the orginals (tulip) or however if there aren't with that form,at least golden.

someone know tuners using original holes?

thanks

Nicola

Nicola,

Pics of current tuners would help but...The hole size is normally 10mm if it came with standard Grovers.

No big deal to take one out and measure the hole. You are going to have to do it anyway if you are going to change them.

Replacement Grovers are not the exact same size as the factory installed. They will cover the marks from the originals but the mounting screws might not line up exactly.

If you go with another brand you may be left with slight indentations on the back of the headstock. (was never a big deal to me.) Other than that the main thing is hole size.

If screw holes are close but not perfect they can be filled with a tooth pick. Put toothpick in hole. Mark with pencil. Cut and glue toothpick in hole.

If screw hole has completely different location then old holes can be filled with crayon wax to match color. Press wax into hole with finger and wipe flush...polish over top.

If new screw holes are needed they can be drilled with this:

pinvisex300.jpg

Pin vice or Pin drill available at Sears or many hardware stores for about $10. (comes with some very small bits)

(I know people are getting tired seeing this but it is a great tool if you work with small screws.)

Other than the size hole I have no recommendations as there are soooo many types of replacement tuners out there.

Maybe others will be more help.

Willy

Good advise from Willy. I gotta get me one of those drills.

Just a question - why do you want to change your tuners? I have changed tuners on Epis, but usually for cosmetic reasons. The stock tuners on all of my Epis worked great. I have also put new buttons on because I don't like the kidney shaped ones that come with the Grover Rotomatics.

Nicola,

Pics of current tuners would help but...The hole size is normally 10mm if it came with standard Grovers.

No big deal to take one out and measure the hole. You are going to have to do it anyway if you are going to change them.

Replacement Grovers are not the exact same size as the factory installed. They will cover the marks from the originals but the mounting screws might not line up exactly.

If you go with another brand you may be left with slight indentations on the back of the headstock. (was never a big deal to me.) Other than that the main thing is hole size.

If screw holes are close but not perfect they can be filled with a tooth pick. Put toothpick in hole. Mark with pencil. Cut and glue toothpick in hole.

If screw hole has completely different location then old holes can be filled with crayon wax to match color. Press wax into hole with finger and wipe flush...polish over top.

If new screw holes are needed they can be drilled with this:

pinvisex300.jpg

Pin vice or Pin drill available at Sears or many hardware stores for about $10. (comes with some very small bits)

(I know people are getting tired seeing this but it is a great tool if you work with small screws.)

Other than the size hole I have no recommendations as there are soooo many types of replacement tuners out there.

Maybe others will be more help.

Willy

ok,i'll post a photo of the back of the headstock

thanks

Good advise from Willy. I gotta get me one of those drills.

Just a question - why do you want to change your tuners? I have changed tuners on Epis, but usually for cosmetic reasons. The stock tuners on all of my Epis worked great. I have also put new buttons on because I don't like the kidney shaped ones that come with the Grover Rotomatics.

i wanna change tuners because do not take the tuning, as once.

maybe the years maybe boh.. :)

The best Tulip tuners to use are either Grover Deluxe or Tone-Pros. I've used the Grovers for similar applications to yours with great results. You can find them at Stewart MacDonald, AllParts or Guitar Parts Resource at reasonable prices ($30-40).

Well, I've looked at your pictures and done some checking around.

I still can't say for sure what size holes you have in your headstock.

You probably have 10mm but if I were you I would still remove one and measure for my self.

Of all the tuners I have seen you shouldn't have any trouble replacing them with most of the standards:

Grover, Schaller of Gotoh. That is of course IF they are in fact 10mm.

The Schallers look to me to be the best match. (unless you want to change the look)

Here is the rub....I don't see any out there that look to have the retaining screws in the same position.

As explained above, I don't consider it a problem. I don't know if it is a problem for you.

Good luck,

Willy

Archived