Gibson Brands Forums

Well, I did it

Artie Owl

Well, it's all a memory now, my first recital was yesterday. There were lots of talented kids there I hope their parents keep them interested in music because it really is invaluable in terms of getting a decent education. My fiancee took the video best should could with the equipment provided, so if you don't have decent computer speakers you won't be able to hear the video all the great. Also, I know it's a good community here but please, take it easy on me it's my first recorded recital. It's too bad you can't hear the bends and such better. But I promised Matthew Sear that I'd share so here it is;

Artillery Owl (sorry I don't know your real name), I was able to hear the bends just fine on my laptop's speakers. The natural reverb of the church walls made

it sound pretty cool, too. You (and you wife) should be very proud of this accomplishment. I hope you have more to come and that you will continue to share with us.

Did you have to memorize that piece ("I Shot the Sheriff") as your teacher taught you, or did you have some liberty to improvise some parts on your own? Just curious.

Either way, you did a very nice job. Keep up the good work. [thumbup] Paul

Artillery Owl (sorry I don't know your real name), I was able to hear the bends just fine on my laptop's speakers. The natural reverb of the church walls made

it sound pretty cool, too. You (and you wife) should be very proud of this accomplishment. I hope you have more to come and that you will continue to share with us.

Did you have to memorize that piece ("I Shot the Sheriff") as your teacher taught you, or did you have some liberty to improvise some parts on your own? Just curious.

Either way, you did a very nice job. Keep up the good work. [thumbup] Paul

Paul, my name is Brandon, you can call me that or Artillery Owl, or Art, or Artie Owl, or A Owl, or Owl or any host of other names not acceptable in public places [razz]

As for the piece, I memorized the intro, chorus and verse, and I improvised on G minor for the solos, both low and high G and in between. I had a few spots I fluffed on a bit but that all comes with practice. Thanks for the kind words, cheers!

Brandon...

You sounded fine. You personally will hear "fluffs" the rest of your life but anybody else will figure it was a variation on the theme. Welcome to the club. After a certain point you kind quit thinking about them and just keep doing your thing and enjoying whatever levels of performance your life leads you to.

Don't stop. That was an excellent first shot at a public "thing" and frankly, I think the venue is a difficult one. I always thought the best "first time" was the campfire/small saloon up close type of thing where you start off BSing with folks a bit and then use some of that as an intro to some pickin'.

Playing "up front on a stage" with distance to the audience hasta be a far more difficult first time and you did it well. Yeah, the guitar teacher may have helped - or hindered - but you did fine in what I think is a difficult circumstance.

On the other hand, the vid was horrid in one way... What was the girlfriend doing entirely behind the cam? <chortle> As I recall, she's a lot better lookin' than you two.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. <grin>

And... hey, for what this is worth, too... I ain't worried about you doing future gigs.

m

Brandon...

You sounded fine. You personally will hear "fluffs" the rest of your life but anybody else will figure it was a variation on the theme. Welcome to the club. After a certain point you kind quit thinking about them and just keep doing your thing and enjoying whatever levels of performance your life leads you to.

Don't stop. That was an excellent first shot at a public "thing" and frankly, I think the venue is a difficult one. I always thought the best "first time" was the campfire/small saloon up close type of thing where you start off BSing with folks a bit and then use some of that as an intro to some pickin'.

Playing "up front on a stage" with distance to the audience hasta be a far more difficult first time and you did it well. Yeah, the guitar teacher may have helped - or hindered - but you did fine in what I think is a difficult circumstance.

On the other hand, the vid was horrid in one way... What was the girlfriend doing entirely behind the cam? <chortle> As I recall, she's a lot better lookin' than you two.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. <grin>

And... hey, for what this is worth, too... I ain't worried about you doing future gigs.

m

I was hoping you'd weigh in Milod, I appreciate it. And you're right she is far better looking than myself or my guitar teacher but I wanted the focus to be on my playing [razz].

Well, it's all a memory now, my first recital was yesterday. There were lots of talented kids there I hope their parents keep them interested in music because it really is invaluable in terms of getting a decent education. My fiancee took the video best should could with the equipment provided, so if you don't have decent computer speakers you won't be able to hear the video all the great. Also, I know it's a good community here but please, take it easy on me it's my first recorded recital. It's too bad you can't hear the bends and such better. But I promised Matthew Sear that I'd share so here it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyf2pWP38g

Bravo my friend! You did a fine job and I'm sure your gramps would be tickled to have been able to witness this! [thumbup]

No stopping you now!

Archived