Gibson Brands Forums

"Vintage" tuner question

Supersonic

I'd like to change the tuners on my Epi SG to the vintage keystone style ones. The stock Grovers work perfectly so the switch would be based purely on looks. I'm pretty sure I would have to drill a new hole for each tuner though so I was wondering if anyone has ever just changed the buttons instead of the whole tuner? It seems like it would be a lot easier and it wouldn't require any modification to the headstock. I have no idea where I would be able to buy just the buttons by themselves so I thought I would ask you guys if you could point me in the right direction on this.

I'm pretty sure these will fit in your existing post holes. You'd just have to drill the itty bitty holes. Grover Rotomatics with metal keystone buttons are also available, which would be a no-mod drop-in replacement. I don't know whether the metal keystone buttons are available separately.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Deluxe_Keystones.html

I have purchased Grover Keystone buttons from Allparts, but they don't have them listed on their site, you have to call them and make sure you ask for Grover Keystones.

I have installed Grover Vintage Green Keystones on two of my guitar, just for cosmetics. Easy mod, just have to drill 12 holes in the back of the headstock. Before you drill the holes, put masking tape on the guitar so the finish won't crack or chip. The case on the back of the tuner covers about 85% of the existing hole. If you look close you can see them on the bottom of the tuners, but you are probably the only one who will notice them. The best price I found for the Grover Green Keys were are Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_Deluxe_Keystones.html

SG008.jpg

SG002-1.jpg

Willy,

I still haven't decided for sure, but right now I am leaning towards a wiring harness from the Hoagland Bros. site you told me about. It's prewired and it comes with 2 volume and 2 tone CTS pots and Sprague orange drop caps. You can also pay a little more if you want and get either "Mojotone Vitamin T PIO caps" or "Allparts Vitamin Q PIO caps". I don't know if those would be worth the extra money or not, do you have any experience with them? Anyway, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. It's only $63 dollars I think for the gold version and I wouldn't have to bother with all the soldering except for the pickups. I really need to finish up my Christmas shopping so I'll know how much money I have left over to spend on guitar stuff lol.

Super,

I haven't bought their kits as I do my own.

I have bought electronics from them on several occasions (including pots) and am quite pleased with them.

They have been very good to deal with and quite reliable. At least that has been my experience.

Between the electronics and the tuners it sounds like you are going to end up with a "killer" guitar.

Have fun with the mods. Hope it all works out for Christmas....but....like you...When it comes to my wallet, I guess everyone else comes first! (LOL)

Willy

Thanks Willy,

I'll be sure to post pics of everything when I get it all finished (which should be sometime shortly after the holidays).

Also, thanks to you guys for the link to those Grover tuners. They seem like they would be just as good if not better than the Gibson or Kluson ones and they are cheaper too!

Archived