Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson soundhole diameter?

retrorod

I haven't......Yet! I firmly believe this J100 would be a candidate. I just feel that a little bigger soundhole would really open the sucker up tonally. It is a fairly loud guitar when strummed hard,but I can,t help but think that it could be better...Rod

I know for a fact that Breedlove uses a larger soundhole diameter on all of their "000" bodies. They swear that it gives the guitar a more open bass response. I had my luthier build my 000-rosewood with a full 4-1/8" soundhole (cedar top) & it really rumbles. Just sayin'...

• 9 years later...
4 hours ago, timeless said:

Anyone know the size of the  sound hole on a LG2 Banner guitar 

Looks like just a shade under 4". . . Maybe a sixteenth inch shy of that. 

But that is on a '49 LG-2. Maybe Gibson got more true to their 4" soundhole measurement on their reissues.

8 hours ago, timeless said:

Anyone know the size of the  sound hole on a LG2 Banner guitar 

No idea about the LG2 Banner but if I am guessing right, you probably want to know if a soundhole pickup will fit?

And also no help with the LG2 but every Gibson of mine from 1935 to modern  and small to large have soundholes that allow the installation of the standard Baggs M1, M1a, M80, Sunrise, Dimarzio.......the same can not be said for smaller Martins like my CEO7 or OMs!

BluesKing777.