Gibson Brands Forums

Top 50 Revolutionary Artist?

jaxson50

Jax...

Or didn't die from drugs or worse...

Or... an interesting piece to read is from a guy I went to college with.

The book is "Sleeping where I fall" by Peter Coyote - whose voice is often heard on such as the History Channel.

It's not pretty, but I've a hunch it's as true as Pete can remember it. BTW, he's been a pretty decent picker himself.

m

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jax...

Or didn't die from drugs or worse...

Or... an interesting piece to read is from a guy I went to college with.

The book is "Sleeping where I fall" by Peter Coyote - whose voice is often heard on such as the History Channel.

It's not pretty, but I've a hunch it's as true as Pete can remember it. BTW, he's been a pretty decent picker himself.

m

I will check it out, I am familiar with Coyote's work..

I don't know...for me, "Rock" doesn't change as much, as it

changes clothes, and hairstyles. That becomes "new," when

in fact, it's not...not really. The worst thing that can

happen to "rock," is that the players start taking themselves

too seriously...and the audience goes along, for the ride.

Rock should be fun (1st), somewhat irreverent, and exciting.

It can be "political," and protesting, too...why not? If it

needs to be "angry," lyrically, that's ok, too! There's a LOT

to be angry about, no matter what one's age is. However, I would

never advocate physical violence, in "Rock's" equation. That's just

never been "cool," or productive...IMHO.

As to age...Hell, some folks are "old" as teenagers. Other's,

(like me) never "grow up!" So...??? Compromise, to some extent,

is inevitable...beit music or lifestyle. How far you compromise,

and when, is really up to you. It might boil down to "comfort?"

CB

CB...

i think that in ways a lot of "us" are just as "angry" at 60 in some ways as we were at 19 - it's just that life ends up with some other requirements and feelings tend to be put into perspective and expressed rather differently.

In terms of music, I always tended to prefer a lotta stuff from the 20s up through the 60s - but I was so far into the folkie/bluesie stuff that for example a girl friend had to work pretty hard to get me to go to the first Beatles movie.

Yeah, I'd played rock, but it was some of the older heavy guitar stuff kinda a la Link Wray, etc., with a heavy blues tilt and a love of flamenco and... <grin> Other stuff with fat chords and fingerpicking potential.

Then when money started to get involved with the playing, whatever made some tended to take preference so I could feed that old devil of GAS.

<grin>

But preferences are still kinda odd, I guess, for each of us.

m

CB...

i think that in ways a lot of "us" are just as "angry" at 60 in some ways as we were at 19 - it's just that life ends up with some other requirements and feelings tend to be put into perspective and expressed rather differently.In terms of music, I always tended to prefer a lotta stuff from the 20s up through the 60s - but I was so far into the folkie/bluesie stuff that for example a girl friend had to work pretty hard to get me to go to the first Beatles movie.

Yeah, I'd played rock, but it was some of the older heavy guitar stuff kinda a la Link Wray, etc., with a heavy blues tilt and a love of flamenco and... <grin> Other stuff with fat chords and fingerpicking potential.

Then when money started to get involved with the playing, whatever made some tended to take preference so I could feed that old devil of GAS.

<grin>

But preferences are still kinda odd, I guess, for each of us.

m

Agreed...I'm actually "crankier" now, in some ways, than I was at 19! LOL

CB

Little Richard should be #1. He freaked people out with Tutti Frutti. No surprise to me though, lists like these are for people who have to be told what to listen to.

Milo!!!!!! LINK. WRAY. BABY. I also liked Bo Diddley's little 'Spanish' tune, "Aztec Gold" I think it's called.

Yeah, I guess I've mentioned Link so often that...

For you younger guys, this guy is where the cranky rock song began. And imagine an instrumental banned on more than a few radio stations.

But there's perhaps also an example of a guy who had a very difficult time in life in ways because he never entirely lost the "rocker" persona in private as well as public life. There was no Gene Simmons show or anything close to it and the money never really was there for the guy.

Still... no stomp boxes 'cuz they ain't been invented yet? Chop up the amp speaker to make it buzz. Power chords and "stick it" attitude and the amp maxed out? (Okay, the amps didn't have anything close to the power of just a few years later, but the attitude was there...)

Link Wray.

So...

m

There should be three list, (IMO)

1. The top revolutionary artist.(those whose impact changed music, created a new form and thereby became a international phenomenon).

2. The top innovative artist.(those who style and approach stands out, but did not actually change the direction music was going).

3. The top inspirational artist. (those who had a special talent as a vocalist or instrumentalist thereby inspired and challenged other musicians and artist).

The size of the list should not be restricted, but it should be qualified.

Very few artist in any form be it music or any other form will be viewed as revolutionary, to do so there would have to be a definite line drawn in time, a "Pre" and a "Post" era. One place to start would be to refer to the many interviews of establish artist and see who they were influenced by.

Archived