Gibson Brands Forums

Caring for nickel strings

Sproggie

I've always used nickel strings. I play almost every day and try to wipe the strings down after every session. If I forget, the strings corrode enough so that my fingers stick and slides aren't easy the next day. No amount of string cleaners and Fast Fret will bring the strings back to new so I end up changing them. I generally get through a set of strings every two weeks or so. I've recently tried a touch of metal polish on a cloth and that's brought the strings back to being playable. Just wondering if this is typical of nickel strings or have I got especially corrosive paws. Are steel strings more forgiving? What do you all use?

Seems a bit much too me. You might have, let's say, a corrosive personality.

I use Ernie Ball 2221 Nickel Wound 10/46 on my electrics. If gigging bars I get 3 gigs, pretty much 9 hours and 45 minutes per set. I could probably get more, but don't. I use "FINGER EASE" several times a night.

You might try Stainless Steel, I don't like the way they sound, but Stainless is made with nickle so I'm sure you could adjust the tone back to where you want it.

Be aware that Stainless is harder though, and will eventually eat your frets a bit faster.

You might also try Elixir coated strings. I like them on my J-45 acoustic (the very thin NANOWEB). They also make a polyweb coating that is thicker.

Best of luck.

Sounds like you have the corrosive touch. Some people do. I can get months out of a pair of strings,

but I have a friend who is forbidden from playing more than one guitar when he is over. He played

them all once and I had to change every set of strings the next day! You'll definitely need to

wipe your stings clean each time you play, and even then you'll be changing them often. Baby wipes

make good, cheap string cleaners, btw.

You could try adopting a more alkaline diet. There are acid/alkaline food/drink charts all over the Internet - google it.

I did that for health reasons and my fingers no longer have the "Midas touch in reverse."

But I do live in a corrosive climate, near the ocean, and not only do I not air condition my home, but I play on a wooden deck in a marina in a salt water lagoon about 1/4 mile from the ocean and the salt water is under the deck during high tide. My strings last about a month (I wipe them down after playing).

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

It's a chemical reaction. Nickel oxidizes to a silvery/yellow hue. It corrodes green. Everyone's body chemistry is different, some more corrosive than others. Unless you can find stainless steel wires, I'd try to stick to your regimen of playing then wiping her down. I don't think switching string brands will help.

Archived