Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Frampton Signature Les Paul Custom

bobkat_30

Can someone at Gibson please let me know the lead time on the order of a Gibson Custom Shop Peter Frampton Signature Les Paul Custom (Ebony)? Does Gibson keep these guitars in Inventory, or are they made to order? My dealer has not been able to give me an answer.

Thank you.

Regards,

Bobkat_30

Yes, . . . like on the cover of Frampton Comes Alive.

Check it out.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/signature/frampton/PeterFrampton.html

I owned one a few years ago, but ended up selling it. Now I want to aquire another.

Incidentally, Musician's Friend Customer Service Sucks. Unless you are ordering something they have in stock, they aren't very helpful.

Bobkat_30

They are not making this guitar as frequently as in the past. As I understood it from my dealer, they were originally going to stop production around 500. At 500 they moved it from regular rotation to a periodic rotation which means they may have to get orders for a few before they will run them off. So, your dealer may be correct in not knowing when the lead time is. I do know it is still a very popular guitar and people are still ordering them. I own one and it is a fantastic guitar. No other Les Paul sounds quite like it that is for sure. With the 500T in the bridge, it gets some very nice sustain and distortion quicker than most Pauls. The 57s in the neck and center do wonders for some nice clean and fat tones. Of course it is a looker that is for sure and the chambering is nice in that it weighs about 8.5 pounds. The chambering helps the resonant tone as well, but I find it a bit darker than my R0 which just screams with tone. But, they are two different animals. I hope you get it soon and enjoy. The other guitar player in my band liked mine so much he got one as well. :D

Thanks for the production info Wondo.

What do you think about the Gibson USA Classic Custom 3 Pickup Model? Very close to the Frampton model, except for the 500T in the bridge, covered pickups instead of open coils, the special middle pickup wiring, and of course the Frampton signature stuff. I'm considering getting this instead, it is probably $1,000 cheaper and I can get it quicker. I want to play it more than collect it anyway. Thoughts?

Thanks for the production info Wondo.

What do you think about the Gibson USA Classic Custom 3 Pickup Model? Very close to the Frampton model' date=' except for the 500T in the bridge, covered pickups instead of open coils, the special middle pickup wiring, and of course the Frampton signature stuff. I'm considering getting this instead, it is probably $1,000 cheaper and I can get it quicker. I want to play it more than collect it anyway. Thoughts? [/quote']

bobkat,

The Classic Custom looks like a nice guitar. I have never played one so I wouldn't know for sure. There is a diffference between the regular Classic Custom which has two exposed coil pickups like the Frampton and the Classic Custom with the three covered pickups. This is the Guitar of the week and they are doing a limited run. The thing that would concern me is the the chambering on the new USA line. The Custom Shop has their own style of chambering that I prefer over the USA chambering. I had a Classic Antique, played it for about six months and sold it. It just lacked some depth to it that I would expect from a Les Paul. Not that the new USA chambering is bad, I just didn't prefer it. The chambering they do at the Custom Shop has been called the Cloud 9 chambering since this is the chambering they have done on the chambered Les Paul reissues. The Frampton has this Cloud 9 type of chambering which is actually a very nice design. The new USA chambering is similar but they take a bit more out especially around the tailpiece which I believe is a crucial area. Again, it's not bad but I think the Frampton just has so much more balls then the Classic Antique I had. Part of this is the 500T in the bridge, the middle pickup and a more full resonance due to the type of chambering. The only way you'll know for sure is to try them side by side. The other thing about the Frampton is that it has some historical accuracy to Frampton's original 54 Black Beauty like the thin binding around the cut-away,etc. But other inaccuracies like a Nasville bridge instead of an ABr-1. But, keep in mind this guitar was built to the specs that Frampton wanted in conjuction with the Custom Shop it was not an attempt to accurately re-create the original 54 Custom. On the Frampton, the antiqued binding is not yellow like on the Classic Custom...it is more a creamed color which matches almost perfectly with the pickup rings and so everything looks very uniform and classy. The slim profile neck is a bit different than the Classic in that it seems slightly chunkier at the first five frets which is great for chording and thinner toward the body which is great for soloing. It is a very comfortable neck. The other thing is even though you say it is a player and not an investment piece, that is something to consider. The Frampton will definately be a desirable guitar in years to come. Although many do not know much of what Frampton is doing these days, his newest release Fingerprints won a grammy. If you have not already done so, pick it up. He is on top of his game better than he ever was. Listen to Blowin' Smoke. He primarily played the Custom on almost every track. This album should give you an idea of what this guitar can do. Of course in the hands of a master like Frampton...

Thanks again Wondo. You definitely know your stuff.

I am a huge Frampton fan, usually see him live at least once a year (usually more than once if I can swing it).

Yes, I own "Fingerprints", it's good, . . . . but I REALLY like his previous release "Now".

Anyway, thanks again for all of your input, it is much appreciated.

bobkat,

If you are a Frampton fan, then the decision to get the Frampton vs the Classic Custom is a no-brainer. I know you would save some money on the Classic Custom, but in the long run you might kick yourself for not doing so. If you have one on order, wait for it and get it while they are still running them off. It may get a bit harder to get these then in the past. As the CustomAdmin said, they are not running these that much anymore. Not that you can't get them, but they are a bit harder to come by these days. This is a great guitar. Just like Frampton is an under rated guitarist so too is his guitar. Many Les Paul guitar fans don't have a clue just how wonderful this particular model is. I am a huge Alex Lifeson fan, so I am waiting for the ES 355 that I have on order. But, I got Frampton's Les Paul mostly because of how great the guitar is. After I got it, I got more into Frampton's music than I had in the past and I too have seen him live. I got him to sign a Framptone amp switcher I have and he also signed a poster of some Fingerprints art work that I have framed in my studio. In addition to being a great guitar player, he is a really nice guy!

I also owned the Frampton Les Paul (Black Beauty) and can say that the guitar is very versatile with the 3 pickups and Frampton specific switching. The neck was very thin and takes a little getting used to especially in the lower frets with open chords. The reason I traded the guitar was I couldn't get used to the middle pickup. I kept digging the pick into it and didn't want to adjust my playing. The look of the guitar is awesome. The store where I bought the guitar took it back for a full refund after 6 months because another customer was buying it. Unless you luck out, you should be prepared for up to a 1 year wait for the guitar. The 45-60 day response doesn't mean anything with these limited run instruments. You could also consider the new Jimmy Page Black Beauty that is coming out. It has enhanced pickup selection to get the most out of the 3 pickups as well as coil tap and option of the Bigsby. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your search!

• 1 month later...

Archived