Gibson Brands Forums

Cool new modding project

Supersonic

The Gibson-style one. Check out the box in the pic in my first post. It says "for humbucker guitars" on the side next to the Les Paul. The other one they make is for Strats.

My bad, I didn't pay much attention to the packaging pics, I thought they would have been for gibbys, but I didn't want to make any assumptions.

Sounds complicated, and would tie the guitar to that particular amp, amp would need modding too, unwieldly. The idea of the mod in the first place is to simplify things imho.

Does that sound complicated? sorry, it must be the way I wrote it because it's actually pretty simple.

If you think about it, an exterior power source is one option that's preferable to no having the tuner at all - and conveying it via the cable seems pretty straightforward.

You could also use something other than a standard 9v battery on board, a battery with a different physical size, there are numerous options to make this work without routing the guitar body.

WRT "the idea of a mod is to simplify things" I don't see any correlation. Modifying your guitar may simplify things, but the opposite is also possible.

It's completely dependent upon what you're trying to achieve...you could easily say that once done, having your on-board tuner powered by the cord does simplify things - you never have to buy a battery or think about it again, just plug in (with a cable available anywhere) and tune up using your new tuner.

Does that sound complicated? sorry, it must be the way I wrote it because it's actually pretty simple.

If you think about it, an exterior power source is one option that's preferable to no having the tuner at all - and conveying it via the cable seems pretty straightforward.

You could also use something other than a standard 9v battery on board, a battery with a different physical size, there are numerous options to make this work without routing the guitar body.

WRT "the idea of a mod is to simplify things" I don't see any correlation. Modifying your guitar may simplify things, but the opposite is also possible.

It's completely dependent upon what you're trying to achieve...you could easily say that once done, having your on-board tuner powered by the cord does simplify things - you never have to buy a battery or think about it again, just plug in (with a cable available anywhere) and tune up using your new tuner.

While some stereo cables maybe 4-core internally, a 1/4 trs plug only has 3 contacts externally, how would you convey the 4 paths (2 for git, 2 for tuner) using such a plug, unless you combined the ground wires.

That wasn't my major query though, most amps have mono jacks and are of course unpowered, how do you accomodate it at the amp end, the only arrangement that comes to mind would be to have a small project box with a stereo input jack (for the stereo guitar lead), a mono output jack (for a patch cable to amp) and a 9v jack to plug a 9v wall wart into.

Is this close to the arrangement you described?

Archived