Gibson Brands Forums

Cool new modding project

Supersonic

I got one of these things for Christmas. It seems like it will be pretty cool once I get it installed, but it's not gonna be easy. I dunno where I'm gonna install a 9-volt battery in the cavity of my SG because it's already so cluttered with the toggle switch being in there and all, but I'll figure it out. It basically replaces one of the volume pots with a push-pull pot that turns into a chromatic tuner when the pot is pulled out. I don't know if anyone has any experience with these, but any advice, as always, would be appreciated. I haven't taken any pics of my actual version yet because I forgot to charge my camera after taking Christmas pics of the fam, but here are some pics from the site.

n-tune-500konly.jpg

NTUNE-HUM.jpg

Mmm, the battery might not be the only thing you have trouble fitting in, looks like that pot has a long shaft arrangement and with the SG having such a thin body, it might also give you some problems.

Hope you manage to get it all in there though, should be a cool addition.

Well dang, there's no way that the battery is fitting in here. I guess I'll just hang on to this thing and maybe use it on another guitar. [thumbdn] It could POSSIBLY fit in between the toggle and volume pots, but with the velcro attachment for the battery, it would be such a tight fit, I wouldn't want to damage anything. Oh well. Kinda bummed me out though. It was a pretty cool Christmas present, but I'm sure I'll use it somewhere down the line.

Tuner2.jpg

Tuner1.jpg

Well dang, there's no way that the battery is fitting in here. I guess I'll just hang on to this thing and maybe use it on another guitar. [thumbdn] It could POSSIBLY fit in between the toggle and volume pots, but with the velcro attachment for the battery, it would be such a tight fit, I wouldn't want to damage anything. Oh well. Kinda bummed me out though. It was a pretty cool Christmas present, but I'm sure I'll use it somewhere down the line.

Yup, looks like it would be a little tight.

Still looks like a neat little tuner.

Willy

It looks like RaSTuS was right about the pot being too big as well. [cursing]

Damn, I was right for once, though in this case it turns out to be a bummer.

Shame it doesn't fit SS, but it is a nifty looking doodad, and as you mention should still come in handy sometime in the future.

Super, if you lived near me I could rout out some space for the battery. Either a seperate compartment with cover or an enlargement of the existing cavity. I made a custom control cavity cover for one of my Genesis, and it's really not that hard, got the plexi at Lowes:

P1000746.jpg

If you know someone who's good at using a router, it's an option. But....I'd make a prototype or two on some scrap first....

Hmm...maybe I should add one to this project....

Super, if you lived near me I could rout out some space for the battery. Either a seperate compartment with cover or an enlargement of the existing cavity. I made a custom control cavity cover for one of my Genesis, and it's really not that hard, got the plexi at Lowes:

Very Cool...

No one man makes a band.....

{Well, with todays electronics, maybe one man can. But it's not the same.)

Willy

P1000746.jpg

If you know someone who's good at using a router, it's an option. But....I'd make a prototype or two on some scrap first....

Hmm...maybe I should add one to this project....

Your control cavity seems to be using T.A.R.D.I.S. technology because there is room to fit an entire upside down workshop with giant chisels in there. ;) ;)

Super, if you lived near me I could rout out some space for the battery. Either a seperate compartment with cover or an enlargement of the existing cavity.

Believe me Brian, if I did, you would be the first person I would call. I've seen you're guitar modding wizardry on here enough to know that you are very skilled at such things. I wish I was. Maybe getting better at that should be my New Year's resolution...

How about... using a patch cord with 4 conductors (stereo cord) - 2 for the guitar as per usual and 2 for a power source at the amp - which would be a transformer ac120v to dc9v powered by the amp itself - when you plug in your guitar, the tuner is powered up.

Sounds complicated, and would tie the guitar to that particular amp, amp would need modding too, unwieldly. The idea of the mod in the first place is to simplify things imho.

If there was ever a reason to go treat yourself to a nice thick les paul, or a semi hollow, this would be it...just to see how the tuner would work.

Well, I've got an LP Standard, but I don't really want to alter it anymore. My SG is kinda the guitar that I was planning on doing upgrades on for now.

And, oh god!, I can't even imagine trying to install this thing in a semi-hollow body.

Archived