Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional Neck, same as R8?

Murph

hi Murph,

the neck on the traditional is slightly smaller than the neck on the R8 - not much, but slightly. the neck on the traditional does seem to be thicker than the 50's style neck on the Standard though (meaning the pre-experimental Standard). one thing of note that I found interesting is that, even with the weigh relief holes, the traditional was actually slightly heavier than the R8 that I own. the traditional overall has a wonderful feel to it. great guitar. great tone.

hi Murph' date='

the neck on the traditional is slightly smaller than the neck on the R8 - not much, but slightly. the neck on the traditional does seem to be thicker than the 50's style neck on the Standard though (meaning the pre-experimental Standard). one thing of note that I found interesting is that, even with the weigh relief holes, the traditional was actually slightly heavier than the R8 that I own. the traditional overall has a wonderful feel to it. great guitar. great tone.

[/quote']

the lightest tonewoods go the CS. the heaviest go the usa models

the lightest tonewoods go the CS. the heaviest go the usa models

oh yes, definitely. I should have further explained that, if doing a comparison, the weight of the R8 is actually right in between the weight of a Traditional (on the heavier side) and a chambered Standard (on the lighter side). while the question was directed toward the neck size, I pointed out the weight to show that while the neck size is slightly smaller, it doesn't diminish how solid of a guitar it is - the traditional is beefy.

oh yes' date=' definitely. I should have further explained that, if doing a comparison, the weight of the R8 is actually right in between the weight of a Traditional (on the heavier side) and a chambered Standard (on the lighter side). while the question was directed toward the neck size, I pointed out the weight to show that while the neck size is slightly smaller, it doesn't diminish how solid of a guitar it is - the traditional is beefy.

[/quote']

before someone calls me out - I do not mean the Traditional is a "solid body" guitar - it has weight relief holes. I just meant solid as in it feels substantial.

Correct me if I am wrong but all Gibson necks (USA and CS) are still hand made. Thus, even USA '50s neck will vary a little and same the holds true for the CS shop. Sure they are QC'd for correctness but we know how Gibson QC can be somewhat lacking at times. I would hope the CS is more consistant with regards to this.

Archived