Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number issue

RDKING

I just bought a "60's" SG an can't really make out the serial number. It is ink stamped on the back of the head stock and seems to be 5 numbers. I can only really make out the first number "2". Is there any way I can read it better, ie under certain kinds of light or is there somewhere else on the guitar where I might find a clue to its age?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I just bought a "60's" SG an can't really make out the serial number. It is ink stamped on the back of the head stock and seems to be 5 numbers. I can only really make out the first number "2". Is there any way I can read it better, ie under certain kinds of light or is there somewhere else on the guitar where I might find a clue to its age?

Thanks.

Take the cover off of the control cavity and get the numbers off of the pots. If they're original you should be able to get some idea of the date.

Thanks.

As armadillo said, check out the pots serial numbers. They tell you when the pots were made so the guitar was probably made some time after ... or not.

Gibson "ink stamped" s/n's onto their headstocks in the 60's ?

Not sure about the SGs, but isn't that how the now discontinued Les Paul Classics(with the 1960 pickguard)were numbered?

"Les Paul Classic: This model features an ink stamped serial number with no "MADE IN USA" (just as we used on the original 1952-1960 Les Pauls). Most will be 5 to 6 digits in length, but the earliest examples feature 4 digit serial numbers. There should be a space after the 1st digit with the 4 and 5 digit serial numbers, and no space with the 6 digit numbers.

The 1st digit indicates the year of manufacture for the 4 & 5 digit serial numbers, these were used from 1989-1999. The 1st and 2nd indicate the year of manufacture for the 6 digit serial numbers which we've been using since 2000."

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Archived