Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Kit

djroge1

There is an amp building forum I visit and there are a couple of us who were wondering about offering an amp kit so I'm putting feelers out to see if anyone would be interested.

The amp is the one that is in Dave Hunters book "The Guitar Amplifier Handbook." It's called a Two-Stoke amp. It's based off of the Fender Princeton Tweed so it's a Class A amp with one volume, one tone, and a mini-toggle three way boost switch. It's also what is called cathode biased so you never have to adjust the bias when you change tubes. It can use either 6L6 or 6V6 tubes It's a great sounding amp that is pretty easy to build.

We are considering offering:

Chassis

Ground plate

Eyelet Board

Capacitors & resistors

Pots & switches

Transformers - output and power

Tubes

Wire

Possibly speaker

Basically everything to make a working amp except the cabinet.

There is a forum dedicated to this amp as well so we are all there to help with your build and also you can buy Dave Hunter's book for the instructions for putting it together.

We are talking about just a little over the cost of parts & shipping. The extra would be used to keep that dedicated forum up and running.

Our current guess on cost would be around $350.00

That price could change if we get serious and consider parts and shipping

Anyone interested?

I've been wanting to get in to amp building, but I've never quite gotten off the ground with it.

Partially I don't trust my hand at soldering inside something that cost me a bunch of money. I can do minor repairs with solder, but nothing neat enough to trust myself to that amount of potential loss.

I like this idea, though, and I'd probably get on board.

I'm not sure I would want the speaker. The extra bulk (extra shipping $$) wouldn't be worth it if you have one handy. Even if it's a good speaker, quite a few people would end up running it through a speaker of their own choice anyway.

You might also consider a without tubes option, as not shipping those would make shipping the whole thing easier.

People are going to need to get some supplies anyway (soldering iron, multimeter) on their own anyway.

So the options might be:

- Everything you need but tubes and speaker

- Everything you need but speaker

- Everything but the kitchen sink

- B

Hey, you copied ApostleTone's post... I think I'll buy from him better [biggrin]

Just kidding DJ, I think it's a good project. Hope it becomes a reality and I get to buy one of the kits, I'd love to build an amp, I see guys in here doing it and posting pics and I can only imagine how great it must be to finally turn it on and listen to it. [thumbup] (need I say there's no place to buy quality parts in here?)

Hey, you copied ApostleTone's post... I think I'll buy from him better [biggrin]

Just kidding DJ, I think it's a good project. Hope it becomes a reality and I get to buy one of the kits, I'd love to build an amp, I see guys in here doing it and posting pics and I can only imagine how great it must be to finally turn it on and listen to it. [thumbup] (need I say there's no place to buy quality parts in here?)

Go for it man! I might build it. I've been eye F*&king the SLO CLONE for a while as my next build but this would be cheap quick and easy.

Andy

Me too. Have you heard one in the flesh?

No just clips. The metro amp I just built sounds phenomenal! I'm used to working on Marshalls so it wasn't that much of a challenge. The slo clone seems quite a bit more complex and I have wanted an SLO anyway. I have 4 Marshalls at the moment so I need to diversify a bit.

Do you do any design djroge1? or just build?

I know of some excellent texts on amplifier design, if you're interested I'll post them.

I build and make small modifications. I'm not sure there is really anything truly new in amp design out there. It seems that even my favorites (dumble and trainwreck) are modified and often perfected designs of others - like Leo's designs gone to heaven. However, I could be wrong about that thought.

I'm always up for trying to read and learn more so sure, post away.

I build and make small modifications. I'm not sure there is really anything truly new in amp design out there. It seems that even my favorites (dumble and trainwreck) are modified and often perfected designs of others - like Leo's designs gone to heaven. However, I could be wrong about that thought.

I'm always up for trying to read and learn more so sure, post away.

Sure,

See here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/preamps/

here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/power-amps/

and here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/bassman/

What I like about those books is that they use proven electronic engineering principles such as transfer functions, small signal models, frequency response etc to aid understanding and the design process. It's basically written by an engineer for engineers, although the mathematics and electronic fundamentals behind it aren't that hard to learn (especially if you've been working on this stuff for a while). The result of gaining all this knowledge is you can then go and design various amps from scratch, without needing a base design to modify, plus you'll really understand how these things work - in detail. I know I learnt a heap of things that are simply not covered in any other guitar amp books.

Sure,

See here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/preamps/

here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/power-amps/

and here: http://www.ampbooks.com/home/books/bassman/

What I like about those books is that they use proven electronic engineering principles such as transfer functions, small signal models, frequency response etc to aid understanding and the design process. It's basically written by an engineer for engineers, although the mathematics and electronic fundamentals behind it aren't that hard to learn (especially if you've been working on this stuff for a while). The result of gaining all this knowledge is you can then go and design various amps from scratch, without needing a base design to modify, plus you'll really understand how these things work - in detail. I know I learnt a heap of things that are simply not covered in any other guitar amp books.

Thanks for the links.

Archived