Gibson Brands Forums

where to buy?

schnarz25

so, why should I not buy a guitar from guitar center? I wouldnt buy it from there unless they had one in the back un-opened because Im sure the ones on the wall get a ton of damage from all the people that play them. also, whats the most you would spend there if you wouldnt buy a guitar there. just looking for a good reason not to buy there because that was where I was going to buy it.

Actually I'm not really badmouthing GC or M/F.

The bottom line with a gibson - unlike an Epi to an extent - is that each instrument has a significant amount of hand work, especially on the neck.

Each neck is a shade different. To an inexperienced player that may or may not be obvious, but even HenryJ, Mr. Gibson himself, suggested that there's enough difference between two instruments that if possible the player should try before he/she buys.

To me that's the ideal. When the ideal is impossible and it's been for me for ages, the next best is "mail" (web) order.

It appears some places put more emphasis on checking an instrument before shipping rather than some variation of drop shipping.

I've noticed that Sweetwater and perhaps some others may have a bit higher price tag on a few things than M/F (which has the same parent company as GC), but there would be some, and perhaps could be more interaction with an individual instrument in the shop before it's shipped to you direct.

I have a hunch that some GC stores may have a more qualified staff than others and you might luck out with a web order from some of them. As I said, there's a GC employee on some of the Gibson forums and he sounds as if he knows what he's doing but has kept out of threads that get into GC discussion. I think personally that's probably wise.

There may be folks on here who, unannounced, are involved in other Web order places.

Although it's a days drive to GC, I have spent what amounts to probably an extra 15-20 percent to drive an hour to a "local" store to try even an Epi before buying one. The guitar in the appropriate style (a Dot) felt like I wanted and was within the price I could pay, and those two factors were 90 percent of the decision to buy.

m

Ok, new plan. ill go to guitar center and feel and see the guitar. then if they have one in the back un-opened I'll buy it. If they only have one on the wall then Ill just wait until they get one that they dont put on the wall. I could always call in advance to see or maybe even have them hold one for me, just a thought. I really want to see the exact guitar that Im buying before making a big purchase like that and I would feel much more comfortable buying directly from a store. plus, I have a guy at my local music shop that I really trust and he plays gibsons even though the store doesnt sell them so he knows all about setting them up and how to work with them. by the way, this is my first really big guitar purchase so thats why Im asking so many questions, I just want it to go well.

anyways how does that plan sound? tell me what you think and thanks for all your help

Ok, new plan. ill go to guitar center and feel and see the guitar. then if they have one in the back un-opened I'll buy it. If they only have one on the wall then Ill just wait until they get one that they dont put on the wall. I could always call in advance to see or maybe even have them hold one for me, just a thought. I really want to see the exact guitar that Im buying before making a big purchase like that and I would feel much more comfortable buying directly from a store. plus, I have a guy at my local music shop that I really trust and he plays gibsons even though the store doesnt sell them so he knows all about setting them up and how to work with them. by the way, this is my first really big guitar purchase so thats why Im asking so many questions, I just want it to go well.

anyways how does that plan sound? tell me what you think and thanks for all your help

I would say that there isn't anything wrong with buying from Guitar Center. Just look very carefully at what you're buying. Whatever guitar you play that you like BUY THAT GUITAR. Don't expect the guitar that is in the box in the back to play, sound, or feel the same as the one you tried. If the one you tried is beat up and you want one in better condition then ask if they have another in a box that you could play before you leave. Compare the two next to each other. If the new in the box guitar plays, feels, sounds as good as the one you first tried buy it. If not, take a second look at the guitar you tried out. Is there anything majorly wrong with it? Big chunks and chips out of the finish, Major dings etc...? If it is only minor surface scratches then have them knock off 10 % and get some decent polish. No two guitar are identical make sure the one you purchase has the vibe you are looking for. You will know it when you feel and hear it. Another thing is that the higher end guitars are usually pretty high up on the walls and don't get that much abuse.

Andy

Yeah, here's a story for yer all...

I dickered on the guitar a little with a swap; the base price was the "street price" for the guitar as shown on various web sites.

But the guitar really felt "right" to my hands.

A couple of weeks later wiping it down I noticed a stamping under the finish: "Second." Whoa, I was led to believe it was a "first."

But... waitaminit. It feels great to my hands. I can see about two things that bug me "looks" wise, but... everything works perfectly and I love the way it plays and sounds.

Turn it back or yell?

Nope.

m

I've noticed that Sweetwater and perhaps some others may have a bit higher price tag on a few things than M/F (which has the same parent company as GC), but there would be some, and perhaps could be more interaction with an individual instrument in the shop before it's shipped to you direct.

m

That may be true...but just a few months ago, I found an SG Stnd on Amazon that was about $200 less than MF, Sweetwater, GC, etc...and my Sweetwater sales engr price-matched it....so, they'll haggle...just ask.

Archived