Gibson Brands Forums

New P-180s in my '56 Gold Top

Bender 4 Life

My Gold Top was sitting mostly unplayed because the P-90s it came stock with had a nasty hum...worse than other P-90s i've heard... Loved the raw tone, but the hum made me nuts !

I thought about upgrading to minis, went to GFS website and noticed a new product, P-180 soapbar humbucker(ish) p'ups in either hot, or vintage windings. I asked Mrs. Santa for a vintage set, because I prefer moderate output p'ups.

Had to glue hardwood plugs into the wire routs because the 180s use end-mount screws, and 1 of the 2 screws on each p'up was just dangling in the air....other than that, installation went perfectly.

The tone is unbelieveable.....P-90 "edge" Humbkr "thickness" and completely noise free, all at once...for +/- $70 a matched pair. Overdrive them and the breakup is beautiful !!

still have to get a youtube account so I can post some sound clips......

GarysCam163.jpg

GarysCam164.jpg

Also installed some Allparts nickel covers on my Gibson Flying-V

GarysCam167.jpg

GarysCam166.jpg

didn't even remove the strings for this lil job, capo at 1st fret.....lower p'ups......loosen strings......install covers......re-tune.....raise p'ups........30 minute job.

I noticed those 180's on the GFS site about 2 months ago, wondered how on earth can they sound like P90's, but from your report it seems like they do a pretty good job of it. For the money GFS have to be the best value going.

A set of GuitarHeads Gold Rush zebras arrived here yesterday, they cost $40 a set (+$25 ship to Oz), I can't wait to try them out but I have to wait for some Kent Armstrongs and a GFS Mean90 to get here first, I wanna run head to head comparisons.

Great upgrade Bender, I'm just thinking what I can put a set on, I'm eager to try them after your report.

Hey Bender I have a 56' Goldtop too and I was wondering if there is anyway to eliminate the hum besides changing the pickups? Better ground maybe? I dunno, I have never messed with changing pickups out before. I was just hoping to eliminate the hum without spending more money. I know, I'm a tightwad. Lol.

Stunning goldtop Bender....I also have seen these pickups $70 for a matched set; sweet....and you love the tone; P-90ish, but different.....I'm going to get a set just because they look so

cool....If I need a new guitar to put them in, so be it...............Great thread, thank you.......[thumbup] ...

Hey Bender I have a 56' Goldtop too and I was wondering if there is anyway to eliminate the hum besides changing the pickups? Better ground maybe? I dunno, I have never messed with changing pickups out before. I was just hoping to eliminate the hum without spending more money. I know, I'm a tightwad. Lol.

Hey LP fan.......somebody posted this a while back

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/56103-easy-p-90-hum-cancelling-mod/

Theres some debate as to what this does to the guitars tone......and i've never tried it, so I can't comment.

At the WORST, if you try it and don't like it, you can always order some P-180s [biggrin]

Archived