Gibson Brands Forums

Coins as picks

Silenced Fred

Supposedly somebody on the internet sells them also they were called mojo something or others although can't really see why anyone would buy one since there pretty easy to shape?

I have a 1958 quarter I bought 5 years ago, to me it was easier to buy it than to find a quarter dated before 1964 and then shape it, the way some metals have appreciated lately probably is even harder to find them. Guessing.

I like the pick OK, definitely good for Dobro.

Only if they were minted before 1982 - that makes them 95% copper but new pennies are 97% Zinc with a copper coating so the price of zinc is the key, but pennies still are not a money loser since they last in excess of 40 years on average. The biggest negative issue with pennies is that people don't like to carry them anymore since they buy so little so unlike most other coins pennies are stored in huge numbers by people just leaving them at home in jars or whatever so they last almost twice as long as other coins and need to be minted in large numbers as they don't stay in circulation as long.

You also can't just forge pennies with heat as you suggested like you could with a real pre 82 copper penny because zinc melts so easily at only 787 degree fahrenheit vs copper which doesn't melt until you get it to about 1981 degrees fahrenheit (strangely the last year that all pennies were made of copper) so if you try to heat forge a modern penny you just get a blob.

But don't get too excited and start collecting pennies to melt just yet, the cost of melting pennies even pre-82 ones and separating out the other crap metals still costs more than the price of copper but who knows the way metal is going up maybe the future of copper mining will be searching peoples houses for cups and jars of old pennies

and most importantly remember that pennies are mostly zinc so they would damage the strings

I stand corrected.

And a +1 to you, sir. [cool]

istockphoto_5753608-penny-on-a-train-track.jpg

+ 220,000lbs of steam locomotive....

Train_90_04.jpg

=

stock-photo-crisis-devaluation-of-currency-coins-squashed-on-railwaytrack-by-train-29303620.jpg

I'm a bit of a "railfan" so we've taken quite a few vacations down to Pennsylvania (Lancaster area) to visit the Pennsy Railroad Museum and the Strasburg Railroad. One of our "traditions" was to collect squashed coins usually pennies. If you place them correctly (IE: in most cases, get lucky) the results look just like "teardrop" picks. I don't use them, I play an old acoustic and am a little sloppy with my strumming so the thought of a "coin" pick destroying the top of my old guitar [scared] [scared] [scared]..

So on the last acoustic track I posted, I used a weird foreign coin as a pick and I loved the sound from it. So I'm taking a bunch of the random coins I have to a belt sander and putting them in the shape of a pick.

Anyone else use coins as picks? I love the sound

Gypsy Jazzers use a pick made from stone. [blink]

Archived