Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Birthday to upgrade!

niemepet

I was thinking of Birthday Cake, but i am really leaning more toward never buying another one of their products again. I really wanted to buy a Black ES-355, but now I can't find a single shred of logic to support buying products from a company that treats their customers this way. I have two Gibson guitars including my Robot. I really like both, but I am upset with the endless Robot upgrade waiting game.

The part that rubs me even more is the lack of news about the upgrade or the honesty to admit it isn't coming. I don't care what excuse they have. Employed in manufacturing engineering myself, I could understand the magnitude of recovering from a serious disaster at a plant. However, in todays technological age there is no excuse for not keeping a customer updated. It's as simple as a posting on this forum (i.e. "we have unfortunately had to delay the Robot Upgrade until March of 2012"). With this information I would understand it's not coming until 3/12, so I wouldn't have to keep checking the forums everyday like I do during my lunchtime to scan for some shred of news.

The biggest tragedy is that they have roped Tronical into this twisted mess. Tronical supports many customers on this forum when Gibson leaves them twisting in the wind. I have e-mailed Tronical a few times myself with issues and questions that were not answered in the forums or by customer service. Every time they responded quickly and with complete professionalism. I wish they could have gotten the robot tuning technology out there on their own instead of ending up with this albatross of a guitar company around their neck. Tronical is a class act all the way, 'nuff said!

but now I can't find a single shred of logic to support buying products from a company that treats their customers this way. I have two Gibson guitars including my Robot. I really like both, but I am upset with the endless Robot upgrade waiting game.

I feel exactly the same. I was also planning to buy ES355 as a partner to my 1st run robot, but different model (Gibson ES355 Faded Cherry VOS w/Maestro Block LTD). The feeling is mutual - why support company, that don't support customer. Sad but true.

I feel exactly the same. I was also planning to buy ES355 as a partner to my 1st run robot, but different model (Gibson ES355 Faded Cherry VOS w/Maestro Block LTD). The feeling is mutual - why support company, that don't support customer. Sad but true.

Since I am looking for a replacement...

What do you think about your White Falcon? Do they make a model with a humbucker pickup? I have never played one, but always wondered if it would produce a sound similar to the es-335/355 line.

Since I am looking for a replacement...

What do you think about your White Falcon? Do they make a model with a humbucker pickup? I have never played one, but always wondered if it would produce a sound similar to the es-335/355 line.

White Falcon's have Humbuckers (=Filtertron pickups). Gretsch is more famous about "twang" sound, rockabilly, oldies but goldies rock n roll. I wouldn't compare it to ES-guitars, but some similarity there is of course (f-holes etc.). I have to say that your questions isn't quite fair. White Falcon is my dream guitar. You can see White Falcon with different kind of musicians: Stray cats / Stray cat strut video, Cult (Billy Duffy) or Metallica's Nothing else matters video etc. So it is quite versatile guitar. And to me, very beautiful guitar.

I think TV Jones pickups have "the classic filtertron sound". And so is thinking quite many other...

http://www.tvjones.com/

White Flacon LTV has TV Jones pickups installed on Gretsch factory. It also has pinned bridge (I don't like moving floating bridge).

And if you are looking Rickenbacker humbucker - "Toaster" is the magic word.

I was thinking of Birthday Cake, but i am really leaning more toward never buying another one of their products again. I really wanted to buy a Black ES-355, but now I can't find a single shred of logic to support buying products from a company that treats their customers this way. I have two Gibson guitars including my Robot. I really like both, but I am upset with the endless Robot upgrade waiting game.

The part that rubs me even more is the lack of news about the upgrade or the honesty to admit it isn't coming. I don't care what excuse they have. Employed in manufacturing engineering myself, I could understand the magnitude of recovering from a serious disaster at a plant. However, in todays technological age there is no excuse for not keeping a customer updated. It's as simple as a posting on this forum (i.e. "we have unfortunately had to delay the Robot Upgrade until March of 2012"). With this information I would understand it's not coming until 3/12, so I wouldn't have to keep checking the forums everyday like I do during my lunchtime to scan for some shred of news.

The biggest tragedy is that they have roped Tronical into this twisted mess. Tronical supports many customers on this forum when Gibson leaves them twisting in the wind. I have e-mailed Tronical a few times myself with issues and questions that were not answered in the forums or by customer service. Every time they responded quickly and with complete professionalism. I wish they could have gotten the robot tuning technology out there on their own instead of ending up with this albatross of a guitar company around their neck. Tronical is a class act all the way, 'nuff said!

I had trouble with mine and had to get the guitar operational! I finally bought a standard gibson 500k audio taper pot and removed the MCK and the battery! The wiring to the MCK was removed! I did a standard rewire and now have it working without the Robot tuning! It is now just a Studio LP! I would never waste my time buying another such guitar that you can't service yourself! I will not buy into robotic tuning again! I still have the motorized tuners until I decide to change them out. Operated manually of course!

White Falcon's have Humbuckers (=Filtertron pickups). Gretsch is more famous about "twang" sound, rockabilly, oldies but goldies rock n roll. I wouldn't compare it to ES-guitars, but some similarity there is of course (f-holes etc.). I have to say that your questions isn't quite fair. White Falcon is my dream guitar. You can see White Falcon with different kind of musicians: Stray cats / Stray cat strut video, Cult (Billy Duffy) or Metallica's Nothing else matters video etc. So it is quite versatile guitar. And to me, very beautiful guitar.

I think TV Jones pickups have "the classic filtertron sound". And so is thinking quite many other...

http://www.tvjones.com/

White Flacon LTV has TV Jones pickups installed on Gretsch factory. It also has pinned bridge (I don't like moving floating bridge).

And if you are looking Rickenbacker humbucker - "Toaster" is the magic word.

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the typical gretsch sound, I guess I have just been wondering what one might sound like with a set of SD Antiquity or similar Humbuckers would sound like. It probably wouldn't give that Chuck Berry ES sound though since I beleive it is a hollow body not a semi-hollow body. I do like the typical Gretsch sound, just not quite what I am looking to ad to my collection right now. Thanks again for the info.

I had trouble with mine and had to get the guitar operational! I finally bought a standard Gibson 500k audio taper pot and removed the MCK and the battery! The wiring to the MCK was removed! I did a standard rewire and now have it working without the Robot tuning! It is now just a Studio LP! I would never waste my time buying another such guitar that you can't service yourself! I will not buy into robotic tuning again! I still have the motorized tuners until I decide to change them out. Operated manually of course!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My Robot has worked great since I got it. I have never had a problem and I guess that's why I am willing to pay for an upgrade. The last thing I want to do is take the tuning controls out of mine. I really like being able to change tunings on the fly. It saves me from carting multiple guitars around. My post was more about the lack of customer support for customers who want to upgrade their Robots.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. My Robot has worked great since I got it. I have never had a problem and I guess that's why I am willing to pay for an upgrade. The last thing I want to do is take the tuning controls out of mine. I really like being able to change tunings on the fly. It saves me from carting multiple guitars around. My post was more about the lack of customer support for customers who want to upgrade their Robots.

The point is, lack of support and getting the upgrade has influenced my decision! I was considering getting the upgrade but now fear lack of support if it had issues! My problem is my own doing tho! I was clipping the end of a tone cap with not enough lighting. I didn't see the two ribbon cables had slid between the nipper blades and it was all over in a flash! Made me sick at the time! I could not splice it, those little cables are impossible to work on! I tried several times and methods to no avail!

• 3 months later...

Really? OMG that's a Robot owner's nightmare! I want to change pickups to p94s (or at least a p94 on the neck) or something with coil tapping for the neck... my fear is I might damage something while upgrading and then will be stuck with a guitar that has 100s worth of not working gizmos. [angry]

Really? OMG that's a Robot owner's nightmare! I want to change pickups to p94s (or at least a p94 on the neck) or something with coil tapping for the neck... my fear is I might damage something while upgrading and then will be stuck with a guitar that has 100s worth of not working gizmos. [angry]

Getting parts is not a problem if you know where to go. Trying to get them straight from Gibson is not it! I've had great success just going through my local luthier / authorized Gibson repair guy or on eBay from guenther5508 (he can supply new Tronical spares). Don't panic!

• 1 month later...

In Gibson's defense...... I have the rare opportunity to know a 40+year indie store dealer, and I've met the Gibson rep. Tronical has had a rough go keeping enough parts for the ones they want to make. The DarkFire run was cut short due to lack of parts...

As it says in that press release... The first and second generation versions fit the guitar headstocks and internals differently.. therefore, a different dimensioned G2 will have to be made to retrofit the O.R. Combine this with the floods that drown them out recently, and Tronical's challenge to supply parts, and I can see that the project may be iced for awhile. Many projects like Amps of all sorts, Tobias basses, and some other stuff is all on ice for awhile... It's really frustrating, but so is waiting 2-3 years for a Rickenbacker guitar or part for one. It doesn't make me hate Ric, but it doesn't make me happy. If Gibson were to rapid-fire source a new kit, it may suck on quality, and then everyone would be even more upset. Unfortunately, Gibson has lots of challenges as of late, and lets just hope they work though them.

Also, as mentioned above about Gretch White Falcons... I own one... It's a unique item unto itself. It doesn't sound like the Gibson, but it's a very nice guitar. I'd prefer US manufacture for that kind of price tag, but that said, if you find a low-ball price, they are a nice have. The Gold WILL RUB OFF in a short time.

It's really frustrating, but so is waiting 2-3 years for a Rickenbacker guitar or part for one. It doesn't make me hate Ric, but it doesn't make me happy.

That reminds me how lucky I was... I got 360/12C63 in months. I ordered it june 2009 and I got it august 2009. [lol]

• 6 months later...

Another year pass by...

"For those of you wanting to upgrade your first generation robot guitars, we are working on a package to do just that."

Posted: 12/23/2009 1:17:30 PM

Source: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Blogs/Gibson-USA-Blog/December-2009/Robot-and-Dark-Fire-Guitars.aspx

I heard Gibson was trying to build a factory in the States to make robot parts more available.. as far as the progress? Who knows. [confused]

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the same way about you with gibson, but you have to realize how many other people they would have to be dealing with due to the amount of guitars of theirs that have been sold. I also feel the same way about the robot, it is my first gibson and it has been a first painful experience, but once i figured out everything, the guitar is just amazing!!

• 1 month later...

My GOR was my first Gibson purchase, after owning Fender Custom shops, Jacksons, Taylors, vintage Martins, National Resophonics, and various others. I can say, Gibson should compensate us if they can't do what they said they would do when we dropped our hard earned $ on 12-7-07. They should offer to buy back the robots at the price we paid, or offer a deep, and I mean DEEP discount on another purchase (like a thousand dollar credit) or get the upgrades ready and offer them for free at this point.

Because nobody's home at Gibson, I now buy Reverend guitars. I bought a P-90 model, and I'm looking at a HB model and a model called 'Double Agent' with a P-90 and a HB. You can pay around 500-600 and get a guitar that is just as good if not better than our Gibsons. I'll tell you this, everyone who plays my Reverend Jetstream 390 comments how inspiring and amazing the neck is (and they've played my Robot along with other Gibsons. One friend who plays in the band I mix sound for, was in a band nomminated for a Grammy in the late 1980's and he liked the Robot, but loved the Reverend). BTW, Bon Iver, who just won a Grammy, plays a Reverend Jetstream 390 as well.

Archived