Gibson Brands Forums

'99 STANDARD??

tng6664

ok here's the question,,,can someone tell me if there are changes in the les paul through the years, what i'm trying to get at is that i've played a few les pauls,,different years, in my price range the '99 les paul standard is my most favorite,,so is there like a range of say like there was no changes between '94-2002 ,.,..'96-2000,,,i might not be able to locate a '99 when i'm ready,but if there was say a couple of years that nothing changed,,don't care about color options

I think it was 2002 when Gibson made a bunch of changes to the Standard. 2002-late 2006 are all the same. Not 100% sure what the ranges were before that. Just because one '99 Standard is a great guitar, it doesn't mean they all will be from around that era. Just sayin'...

This might not be comprehensive:

pre-2002: 490R and 498T pickups, rounded neck profile

2002: pickup change to Burstbucker Pros, two neck profiles offered--60s slim and 50s rounded

2006 (oct): bodies now chambered

2008: Two versions of the Std introduced:

Traditional w/57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus, weight relieved body, 50s rounded neck

LP Std '08 with chambered body, BB Pro pickups, straplocks, locking tuners, locking output jack, asymmetrical neck

I think it was 2002 when Gibson made a bunch of changes to the Standard. 2002-late 2006 are all the same. Not 100% sure what the ranges were before that. Just because one '99 Standard is a great guitar, it doesn't mean they all will be from around that era. Just sayin'...

I understand and agree,,,but any '99 standard will have the same pickups,.,.neck,,etc.,,as the next guy posted,,gibson did do changes from time to time,,just not sure what years would have exact setup,,(neck ,,pickups,,etc.))????

I understand and agree,,,but any '99 standard will have the same pickups,.,.neck,,etc.,,as the next guy posted,,gibson did do changes from time to time,,just not sure what years would have exact setup,,(neck ,,pickups,,etc.))????

I get what you're saying and what R9 is saying. You want to find at least the basic elements of that model and R9 is saying just because you find one doesn't mean it will sound or play like anything close to the one you liked....

Andy

Why stop? This is a discussion forum, no? I just mentioned other LPs that will sound the same and also have the same general feel as that one '99 you played. I love my 2008 R8 but I don't limit my search to just 2008 when I'm in the market for another guitar.

The only difference between a Studio &Standard (those years) is the binding and tops.

Why stop? This is a discussion forum, no? I just mentioned other LPs that will sound the same and also have the same general feel as that one '99 you played. I love my 2008 R8 but I don't limit my search to just 2008 when I'm in the market for another guitar.

The only difference between a Studio &Standard (those years) is the binding and tops.

OK,,to each his own,,, i have my preferences.

Archived