Gibson Brands Forums

How can a '95 LP Classic sounds weak???

palli

Hi everybody!

I own a '95 LP Classic Premium Plus with original 496R - 500T pups. This was the only Gibson I own since I recently bought a SG '61 reissue, mainly for the '57 Classic pups, claimed to be more vintage sounding compared to the ceramic ones.

But...

The SG is really hot compared to LP... With the same amp setting I'm slight crunched with LP and fully crunched and compressed with SG!!

What's the problem with that?

I bought SG new so I'm sure that '57 classic are on it; I bought LP s/h but I dismounted the pups and they seem to me the ceramic original ones...

Anyone have some hints?

Thanks

Palli

Hi and welcome.

... With the same amp setting I'm slight crunched with LP and fully crunched and compressed with SG!!...

I'm not entirely sure what "fully crunched and compressed" means. Do you mean the LP is less distorted than the SG?

Have you checked out p-up to string heights? Pole-piece settings? It could just be that the amp settings simply favour one set-up over the other.

Incidentally, my own experience with my ceramic- Vs my '57 Classic- equipped LPs is that the overall volume of the '57 Classics is greater than the ceramics in the '1960 Classic'.

I know that's not the way they are perceived to be but that's been my experience. The ceramics distort more from lower volumes than the '57s but are not actually louder.

It could be that if you lowered some of your settings the ceramics would start to distort where the '57s didn't.

Just a guess...

P.

Archived