Gibson Brands Forums

Dot & '57 Humbuckers

Rockabillybob

Someone else will have to tell you whether they will fit, but I suspect they will. As for the tone, I would think it would be everything you hope for, but I would consider changing the electronics at the same time you change the pickups. Get the same pots and switch that come with the 57's on a Gibson hollowbody. That will give you the best fighting chance of nailing the whole tonal package.

Let us know how it turns out.

There was a video on youtube with that combo but I can't find it now. It sounded so good, very close to a Gibson 335. Unfortunately a lot of these youtube videos feature players who have the right equipment but who aren't very advanced players. So it's still hard to tell - also you're at the mercy of what they used to record the clip, plus whatever speakers you are using on your computer. But it can at least give an idea.

Here's a video with a Sheraton + 57's, it might sound a little like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ue5pbjmGI

Sorry I don't have any real world experience with taht config.

Straight drop in (including surround) - got a 57 in the bridge position on my Dot Studio.

Soundwise - very sweet with excellent dynamics range. Great clean and dirties up nicely without getting muddy.

Works brilliantly with a P90 such a GFS Mean 90 in the Neck position.

Someone else will have to tell you whether they will fit, but I suspect they will. As for the tone, I would think it would be everything you hope for, but I would consider changing the electronics at the same time you change the pickups. Get the same pots and switch that come with the 57's on a Gibson hollowbody. That will give you the best fighting chance of nailing the whole tonal package.

Let us know how it turns out.

The electronics? Like the toggle switch and output jack?

The electronics? Like the toggle switch and output jack?

Yup. CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch. Get the long 1/4" jack. Also, use shielded wire, I like Orange Drop caps too.

As far as an EASY drop in, NOT. They fit fine, but there is nothing easy about swapping the pups in a Dot. I've done my Dot and Sherry and they are doable, but it takes a lot of patience and time, if you are gonna replace everything, which I recommend.

Yup. CTS pots, Switchcraft jack and switch. Get the long 1/4" jack. Also, use shielded wire, I like Orange Drop caps too.

As far as an EASY drop in, NOT. They fit fine, but there is nothing easy about swapping the pups in a Dot. I've done my Dot and Sherry and they are doable, but it takes a lot of patience and time, if you are gonna replace everything, which I recommend.

When I said they were a straight drop in I was refering to the fact that the pickups will fit without any modifications. If you're not going to replace the rest of the electronics it's a 30 min job tops (cut & splice the wiring.)

If you're replacing the whole lot then I completely agree - totally different ball game!

As long as you are reasonably competant with a soldering iron it isn't that difficult a job honestly. Just VERY fiddly but as long as you follow the tried and tested methods you'll be fine.

Check out some of the excellent videos on the subject which can be found on Youtube.

it will add up some buttery sweetness both on clean and with some fur. here are some of my takes on my Dot, neck is '57, bridge is '57+...

simply you'll get the best from the best...it might be pricey...but you'll not gonna sit on other PAF copies if you want the real PAFs....real Gibsons. Get as many pairs as you want, for tomorrow they'll be real classics and ...pricier. Believe me man....'57s and '57+ are the Holy Grail...

A two part question. Will Gibson 57 Humbuckers drop perfectly into a 2010 Epiphone Dot? And, if you have done that, or played a Dot with these pickups, what are your impressions of them? Thanks for any feed back.

Rockabillybob, checkout a recent thread by member Crow titled, " Gibson Pickups on My Dot...Which ? "

It is a success story, and interesting as well.......[thumbup]

Gibson 57s are my Holy Grails.........Besides my P-90s and Strats.....

Love that sound - couldn't let me have the settings you use on your GNX4 or poss email me the patch?

yo wiggy...how ya doin'...

oh man...that video was done a year and a half ago...and my friend has the gnx now.

what i remember is the Bassman amp sim...bass 4, mid 4 or 5 (depends on your guitar), treble is 3 or 4. no FX.

I used the compression plug-in from sonar...and minimum room-verb. i always go on that settings on any Bassman sims. depending on what guitar i'm using. i got two semi-hollows..the other one is an Ibanez AS83 with Gibson 490R and 490T..in which i cut the treble to 2 and boost the bass a bit on the Bassman sim.

hope this helps bro....

Archived