Gibson Brands Forums

Lonesome Excllente Fan

mooseguy

Would sure like to find just one owner of a true Excellente and/or a reissue who would

like to compare notes. The Maytag man was never this lonesome. Neither was the Lone Ranger

Moose

P.S. I am still in the market for either vintage and/or reissue Excellentes

Moose,

"Are you lonesome tonight?"( E.Presley)

We are already corresponding by eMail,so what do you want to compare notes about?

Bring your cheapest re-issue over to England this summer.You'll never sing "Oh Lonesome me" again!

Cheers,

Mike.

If I was not like a skinny woman-flat busted-I would gladly be over to the UK to hum & strum with you-This

may yet come to pass if the Queen Mary still has rentable life boat suites. By the way, I still have

not played the sunburst through any amp-do you happen to have a spare cable? LOL

P.S. I never did ask you if you ever have done anything to your sb to "juice" the tone ,sustain or anything else?

P.P.S. If you think Elvis was ever lonesome for one moment with his stable of women -dream on teen age queen LOL

What's an Excellente?

Hi JWA

Thanks for your interest

An Excellente was a great top of the line flat top made by Epiphone between 1973-1970 -Only 141 were ever produced

but reissues were made in a very limited number (23) in the early 90's by the Gibson Bozeman shop

and again in the late 90's by a Korean guitar company.

To see one, look on the link in the Tommy K posting.

hahaha poor moose! someday!

someone on tdpri was talking about playing their buddy's original frontier- are they similar?

Thanks for the question - never having played or actually seen an original or later Frontier, I cannot make a comparison-in their

rarity however, it is my opinion that an Excellente is much more so.

Moose

EXCELLENTE FT120. First one on the left with the eagle on the pick guard:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/epiphone64p6.php

It's a full size dread with ALL the bling.

Tommy K

Until I saw it was a 1964 catalog page I was ready to jump on it

That is what I am really looking for-a 1963-64 Excellente.

Thanks for the heart burn any way.

Regards,

Moose

Moose(Elvis-had he lived! LOL!)

I had a pickup /saddle installed & the luthier loved the guitar-the lowest action without buzzing I've

ever encountered.I put bluegrass gauge strings on it AND jOHN pEARSE bridge pins>Superb tone & excellent

volume for a Korean guitar>

Tommy K

Until I saw it was a 1964 catalog page I was ready to jump on it

That is what I am really looking for-a 1963-64 Excellente.

Thanks for the heart burn any way.

Regards,

Moose

Sorry to create heartburn in you Moose. That is a cool site. You get to see the evolution of the Epiphones in the mid to late sixties, the heyday of folk music. One Epiphone catalog has 4 or 5 nylon strung guitars alone.... Oh to be a guit tar salesman back then. Think of the commission checks! But it didn't last...

If you squint real hard and blow the screen up you can read the text and model numbers. Questions on these come up once in a while.

Ya ain't lonesome - there are plenty of folks out there lusting in vain right aslong with you. Rumor is though, a friend of mine back home in Mississippi recently scored one as part of a lot of instruments he bought at an estate auction or something. Have not talked with him so unfortunately I can't confirm.

Ya ain't lonesome - there are plenty of folks out there lusting in vain right aslong with you. Rumor is though, a friend of mine back home in Mississippi recently scored one as part of a lot of instruments he bought at an estate auction or something. Have not talked with him so unfortunately I can't confirm.

Hi Zomby:

Very interesting-please try to contact your friend to see if this really happened.

I was offered 3 67's last Fall.Two had damage & all 3 needed missing pick guards. The repaired ones, which didn't interest me, went to GBase dealers

who apparently got unrepaired prices for them shortly after they both appeared for sale. The undamaged one(except for the

pickguard replacemnt)apparently went to a friend of the original dealer who acquired them.

Regards,

Moose

Zomby:

Please contact me directly-I have something to discuss that may be of interest to you,

Regards,

Moose

EMail d.dogs@verizon.net

• 2 weeks later...

hey moose

came across this photo the other day, never seen him playing one before, but maybe it'll sway you in the frontier direction!

oasis_noel1.jpg

Cunningham:

I don't see your posted image but don't get me wrong-I love those rope & cactus pick guard Frontiers -that will be my next one

barring another Excellente showing up.

Regards,

Moose

Archived