Gibson Brands Forums

S H O V E L ! ! ! ! !

TommyK

We don't have to shovel snow here in the greater Phoenix area, but unfortunately when they say the colder Valley area's I think they mean my front yard and it does get down into the mid 20's a few times a year basically just enough to kill off every single plant in my yard. Then in about a month winter will be over for AZ and I'll replant my landscaping. Then for the next several months those plant's will thrive until late July and it'll get to be about 120 in the shade which will kill off all my young tender new growth plants and everything will turn brown. Then in late October it will cool off and I can start the whole cycle over.

Love Arizona winters but I'm on my fourth complete landscaping in six years which aint right, no wonder we only have bushes instead of trees here...

Midwest storm update: Day 2, 8:30 a.m.

Sleet began to fall intermittently during the middle of the night. Radar shows the St. Louis metro area right on the line between rain/sleet/snow. My overhead power lines are showing 1" icicles about 1" apart. The current sleet should bounce off without further build-up. All trees, cars, ground and other flat surfaces covered with a thin layer of ice. Precip expected to turn to all snow around noon. Current temp: 27'F.

The below freezing temps and sleet falling (instead of rain) should be our saving grace. As our Northern members are well aware of, snow can be dealt with, ice is the real problem. At the current time it seems we have dodged the major ice accumulation, which is what causes the greatest damage and power outages, etc.

The wife and I (both self-employed) have decided to just be snowed in for the next couple of days, although I do have scheduled band rehearsal Wednesday night (will probably be canceled). I've got a great shop project on the workbench to keep me busy (I'm building a nuclear powered Strat for a friend), and I should have plenty of time to go over the Big Band charts for our March/April/May run of concerts. As long as the power lines don't come down, things will relatively normal around here for us.

Now if the power goes out, it will be a completely different story.

Well, it's 2 degees (at 11 AM), here...with a stong wind, and blowing snow.

The "wind chill," is at -22 degrees (below zero). NOT a fun day!

This is especially "rude," as just this past Friday, and Saturday,

it was in the '70's! Nothing like the Mid West "Roller Coaster"

weather patterns! ;>b

CB

Midwest storm update: Day 2, 8:30 a.m.

Sleet began to fall intermittently during the middle of the night. Radar shows the St. Louis metro area right on the line between rain/sleet/snow. My overhead power lines are showing 1" icicles about 1" apart. The current sleet should bounce off without further build-up. All trees, cars, ground and other flat surfaces covered with a thin layer of ice. Precip expected to turn to all snow around noon. Current temp: 27'F.

The below freezing temps and sleet falling (instead of rain) should be our saving grace. As our Northern members are well aware of, snow can be dealt with, ice is the real problem. At the current time it seems we have dodged the major ice accumulation, which is what causes the greatest damage and power outages, etc.

The wife and I (both self-employed) have decided to just be snowed in for the next couple of days, although I do have scheduled band rehearsal Wednesday night (will probably be canceled). I've got a great shop project on the workbench to keep me busy (I'm building a nuclear powered Strat for a friend), and I should have plenty of time to go over the Big Band charts for our March/April/May run of concerts. As long as the power lines don't come down, things will relatively normal around here for us.

Now if the power goes out, it will be a completely different story.

Working from home today. The wife and daughter are teasing me about taking a lunch hour and chatting on the forum. I told them this is what I do at work during lunch. Guess I'm set in my ways.

Archived