Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite strings for Les Pauls?

Dr. Gonzo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Pyramid Nickel Classics on one ... they're round core and amazing for jazzy bluesy tone ... and Gibson Vintage Re-Issues on another. D'Addarios are harder to bend than Pyramids, and don't sound as nice to my ears.

I'm sold on nickel. And round core strings ... except for DR Pure Blues which, for me anyway, almost always require big saddle adjustments on my ABRs to get them to intonate.

I don't know why I have so much trouble with DR Pure Blues, relative to other rounds core strings like Pyramids, Snake Oils, and Blues Sliders. Maybe, for round cores at least, you get what you pay for.

Have a '90 Standard which drinks Gibson Bright Wires.

Tried it with most others but these definitely sound best to me.

I got a 2010 Limited earlier this year which has a single coil at the neck, a humbucker at the bridge, and a piezo.

It sounds a little too bright on the factory strings it came with; I'm going to play around with them until I find some that fit it.

Have some Vintage Re-Issues which subdued my other LP, so they might be first up.

I know this guitar has it's critics but it plays and sounds great to me.

Only criticism I have for it so far is that it took an age to bed the strings in.

I think this may be related to the tuning peg ratios of 25:1.

Still the best I've played to date though and it's not like I have to spend forever tuning it now.

{ 8-]

Archived