Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite strings for Les Pauls?

Dr. Gonzo

OK folks, I went on a bit of a rant about Gibson strings on another thread. Everybody has their favorite strings. If you're like me, you use different strings on different guitars. So the question is - What are your favorite strings for Les Pauls, and why?

I'll start - on humbucker equipped LP's I like Ernie Ball Slinky's, 10-46

On P-90 equipped Lesters, actually ALL P-90 equipped guitars, I like GHS Boomers, 10-46.

The reason for the difference is that I've found the Boomers give a bit more snap and presence to P-90's, while Slinky's are more balanced, and have a timbre that works very well with guitars that are mahogany and maple, with humbuckers. SG's get the Boomers because their all mahogany bodies are naturally darker sounding and benefit from the brightness of the Boomers.

Anybody else out there as much of a fussy SOB as me?!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK folks, I went on a bit of a rant about Gibson strings on another thread. Everybody has their favorite strings. If you're like me, you use different strings on different guitars. So the question is - What are your favorite strings for Les Pauls, and why?

I'll start - on humbucker equipped LP's I like Ernie Ball Slinky's, 10-46

On P-90 equipped Lesters, actually ALL P-90 equipped guitars, I like GHS Boomers, 10-46.

The reason for the difference is that I've found the Boomers give a bit more snap and presence to P-90's, while Slinky's are more balanced, and have a timbre that works very well with guitars that are mahogany and maple, with humbuckers. SG's get the Boomers because their all mahogany bodies are naturally darker sounding and benefit from the brightness of the Boomers.

Anybody else out there as much of a fussy SOB as me?!

Not given it much thought really about strings, luckily my guitar store puts different strings on every Paul so I am able to see what sounds nice. I personally like Ernie Ball 9 - 42's (I think thats the sizes) but have not tried many as of yet.

I use Rotosound Pure Nickels, .011 - .048s.

Rotosound is a local firm (I live in London, UK) and it's nice to be able to buy locally made stuff.

They were also the brand Hendrix used and if they were good enough for him....

P.

Try searching the forum because there are probably 10 threads on strings. (Guess we'll make this #11. [biggrin])

I use Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s on everything. My local shop doesn't carry too many pure nickel strings and I like these the best out of the ones I've tried.

+1

Try searching the forum because there are probably 10 threads on strings. (Guess we'll make this #11. [biggrin])

I use Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s on everything. My local shop doesn't carry too many pure nickel strings and I like these the best out of the ones I've tried.

+2

i used to put Gibson Vintage Reissue strings on my Les Pauls and Brite Wires on my SG. That is until the price of them jumped to $10 a pack. So now I use Ernie Ball Slinky 10s on everything. I've been using them for a while now and they're ok. I like them better than any D'addario string I've tried, but they aren't as good as the Gibson ones.

I like Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys ( 10-46). Slinkys have been serving us axemen since the mid 60s and will continue to do so. Ha, now im gonna have to write a song called Mr. Slinky!!! ( dedicated to my favorite strings and my dog's favorite toy ).

I've been bouncing around between Gibson vintage reissue, britewires and Ernie Ball slinky 10-46. The slinky's are on my LP's right now and I like their feel.

I'm not married to any one brand right now. We'll see over the next few months.

Thanks guys!

I've learned that, for the most part, people aren't as crazy/fussy as I am! I'd kinda suspected that.

I just looked thru my 'strings drawer'. There are currently 5 brands and 3 different gauge sets in there, not counting the sets that are in various guitar cases and/or gear bags.

I really think I can lay off buying strings for a while!

another vote for gibson vintage reissue 10's... Really any pure nickel or "mostly nickel" will do... I also like the Ernie Ball 2251's ... They are a lot cheaper.. same quality... Keep in mind however pure nickel strings will be very squeaky when you first put them on... It will take some time for them to age and become less squeaky...

i used to put Gibson Vintage Reissue strings on my Les Pauls and Brite Wires on my SG. That is until the price of them jumped to $10 a pack. So now I use Ernie Ball Slinky 10s on everything. I've been using them for a while now and they're ok. I like them better than any D'addario string I've tried, but they aren't as good as the Gibson ones.

http://www.music123.com/product/Vintage-Reissue-3-Pack-VR10-Electric-Guitar-Strings.site7prod102274.product

$6/pack no tax or shipping charge... Best deal I could find out there... They are some pretty impressive strings...

Archived