Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Professional?

tweed2

This just came up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-Epiphone-professional-guitar-gibson-ES-335-family-/290530250537?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a4f3cf29

Looks like this came out about the time that acid was becoming popular (anyone surprised?). So much of the face of the guitar was cut out to accept the Radio Shack parts display board of a pick guard that I've got to believe that it didn't project very well unplugged. Has anyone ever heard (or even seen) one of the these? To my eye, it's a little on the ugly side, too, but then I didn't think any of the Vox guitars looked good either. $1000 seems a little high for what it is.

Here's a quick explanation that I found on the controls.

The Epiphone Professional (EA7) was a semi-hollowbody guitar in the Gibson ES-335 style made between 1962 and 1967. It sold with a matching amplifier whose controls were all on the guitar itself. That’s right; the amplifier controls are on the guitar, including tone presets, volume, tremolo, and reverb. Obviously there is a special connector between the amp and guitar, but the guitar can be plugged into any other amp with a normal 1/4″ phono cable.

A set up was listed on eBay not so long ago at $2995, but didn't sell. The original list price in 1962 was $495. Every other picture that I could find, including the one in the 1962 catalog showd it with a frequensator type trapeze. Vintage Guitar rated it a D for collectability as the single neck pickup and complex controls scared everyone away.

Archived