Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Holiday Weekend

guitarstrummer

For those who believe in Labor Day' date=' here's hoping you have a happy holiday weekend. I've got a rack of ribs thawing out and have been spending the day making bone saddles for my remaining guitars which don't already have them. Plan to test out the bone saddles a bit later as I work on my songs for the next Homecoming.[/quote']

Thanks, Mike. I had a great holiday weekend, and hope you did, too.

My wife and I made it up to Copper Mountain for Copper Country on Sunday. I was surprised how small the crowd was, considering the talent level playing there. I'm not much at estimating crowd sizes, but I'm guessing 1,500 tops, maybe less. We got there in the afternoon about midway through the number of acts, and we sat back from the center of the stage, about 75 feet or so. That put us on the hill and at eye level to the stage. Fantastic location.

By design we got there a short time before Poco started their set. As I guessed might happen, Richie Furay showed up and joined in with the group. Next up was The Desert Rose Band, which was the main reason we showed up. It was one of three or four reunion shows for the band lately with Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen joined by John Jorgenson, Jay Dee Maness, Bill Bryson and Steve Duncan. Chris and Herb have been touring some as an acoustic duo. Chris said it's just the two of them and their guitar cases, and reminds him of when he was a teenager coming up. As always, just a great show with great songs, great picking, and great singing. Jorgenson put on a clinic during the encore. Can he do anything he wants on a guitar? Chris was mingling around before and after the showing talking with what seemed like anybody and everybody. Last show was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, with their usual rousing show. All that for $25. Seems like a deal to me.

-------------------------

'87 Dove

'08 Hummingbird

'08 J-45 Rosewood

Honky Dog-That sounds like a great festival!! If I had been anywhere near it I'd have plunked down $25 to see it. What a friggin bargain!

+1 on that TW

I used to love Poco and had forgotten all about them.

AS for NGDB well 'nuff said

Got a little work done around the house on Saturday. Sunday and Monday, my wife committed me to helping refloor one of her co-worker's bathrooms. Initially it was to be new vinyl, but no... they diecided ceramic tile was the only way to go.

"Oh..." I said. "Who's going to put that in? I've never done it and don'thave the equipment to cut and shape it. "

"Tools?", says she..

Hoo boy. Well she tried to get her friend to hire a local boy who has done it, but, to be fair she should really pay the boy for his labor as this is his line of work. Her friend couldn't afford it.

"Come on, TommyK" said my wife, "The boy said it could be done in 4 hours. We bought the tool kit in a bucket along with the grout, and the store will cut the tiles for free."

"Hokay," I said.

Long story short, new tile wasn't going to cut it. The floor under the vanity was wet and the underlayment needed to be replaced. After stripping the floor of old vinyl and underlayment the work began. New underlayment, cement board, barely enough grout to do the job. The tiles were cut to width but the stool hole had to be cut. They roughed it out but I had to use the supplied nippers to get it to fit right. Oh, and a new vanity. Then the door had to be shortened as well as the case molding. After installing the vanity, it was apparent the root cause of the flooring issue was a leaking drain pipe under the vanity. Some nickle nubbin' had jury rigged the drain with a 45° elbow that made nothing line up right. The homeowner admitted it had been leaking for a while. >sheesh<!

4 hour job? try 14.5! At least I got some barbecued ribs out of the deal.... and a stiff back. They call it 'Labor Day'. My wife took that literal.

4 hour job? try 14.5! At least I got some barbecued ribs out of the deal.... and a stiff back. They call it 'Labor Day'. My wife took that literal.

Both on the job and for projects at home, we have a "rule of thumb". Estimate how long the job will take...then multiply by three. You were pretty close. See, that formula works.

I'm headed for the Piriformis Syndrome Symposium myself. My mother always said I was a pain in the ___.

So KSD, how many saddles you 'spect you can get out of that jawbone of an... deer?... steer?

If not, what are you goin' to slew with it?

Aw, can't chop up Moosey Moose. Actually the skull is from one moose and the jawbones from another.... I'm trying to figure out a way to hinge them together so I can make him/her "talk".

I'm in Bar Harbor for a couple days, our annual employee meeting. Life is tough.

Archived