Gibson Brands Forums

Black Genesis Deluxe on fleaBay

brianh

This one has some road wear and has been rewired, but has the original pickups and tuners.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120683374528&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

The vertical cracks appear to be finish cracks that happen when the sides of the body expand/contract at varying temperatures, and are probably nothing to worry about.

Starting bid price is about what it's worth, the $575 BIN is too high for a Geni Deluxe in this condition, IMHO.

BlackGeni.jpg

Haha, if I wanted it, no way I would tell you guys about it - I already have a black Deluxe and it's not been rewired! [flapper]

I just keep posting them because everyone here (and by everyone I mean animalfarm) says you can't find 'em!

BTW, just got the 2011 Blue Book (12th Edition) and here's what they think these guitars are worth:

2011BlueBook.jpg

I think they got the Deluxe and Custom valuations reversed since the Custom is the higher-end version. They also show the Custom as having dot inlays, which is wrong, it has rectangular MOTS inlays.

At least they got the country of manufacture correct, because as we all know (please sing in unison):

EPIPHONE GENESIS GUITARS WERE MADE IN TAIWAN, NOT IN JAPAN!

From what I've read, the Genesis was originally produced in Japan in 1979 and moved production to the Pearl Drum factory in Taiwan in 1980. That may be the source of confusion on the subject.

Also, As I'm sure brianh already knows, The-GN, or The Genesis, was an entry level guitar priced below the Genesis Standard.

From what I've read, the Genesis was originally produced in Japan in 1979 and moved production to the Pearl Drum factory in Taiwan in 1980. That may be the source of confusion on the subject.

I'd heard the Pearl factory bit, but Gibson maintains they were all produced there. RTH, can you point me to where you read that? (Excluding Fabi's website.)

Also, As I'm sure brianh already knows, The-GN, or The Genesis, was an entry level guitar priced below the Genesis Standard.

This one eludes me. I've never seen a single photo of a GN, much less heard about anyone who owns one. According to the price lists, it, and the GN-BA (bass) were only offered in '81. At least until I see a pic of one, I have to assume they never actually got produced. And frankly, short of a bolt on neck and plywood body, I don't know how you could make a plainer/cheaper version of the Genesis than the Standard which was only available with dot inlays, minimal binding, chrome parts and only came in black and red (no sunburst).

I'd heard the Pearl factory bit, but Gibson maintains they were all produced there. RTH, can you point me to where you read that? (Excluding Fabi's website.)

I found the info on Wikipedia, but it references epiphonegenesislovers.blogspot. So, looking back it may not be accurate.

As far as The Genesis entry model, I dont have a pic, but I do have a pic of the Genesis bass.

I found the info on Wikipedia, but it references epiphonegenesislovers.blogspot. So, looking back it may not be accurate.

As far as The Genesis entry model, I dont have a pic, but I do have a pic of the Genesis bass.

Epiphonegenesislovers.blogspot is Fabi's website. I believe he also changed the Genesis Wikipedia entry (that I largely wrote) to indicate his personal (and undocumented) belief that Geni's were made in Japan. Fabi has an "axe" to grind ([biggrin]) because he wants his guitar to be more respected and valuable than it is.

Walter Carter's The History of Epiphone and Gibson directly both indicate that Geni's were made in Taiwan only.

Now it appears that copy-cat websites are referencing Wikipedia. I suppose I could go in and erase his entry and fix it, but he could just as easily delete my repairs.

Such is the world of user-supported websites.

Epiphonegenesislovers.blogspot is Fabi's website. I believe he also changed the Genesis Wikipedia entry (that I largely wrote) to indicate his personal (and undocumented) belief that Geni's were made in Japan. Fabi has an "axe" to grind ([biggrin]) because he wants his guitar to be more respected and valuable than it is.

Walter Carter's The History of Epiphone and Gibson directly both indicate that Geni's were made in Taiwan only.

Now it appears that copy-cat websites are referencing Wikipedia. I suppose I could go in and erase his entry and fix it, but he could just as easily delete my repairs.

Such is the world of user-supported websites.

yeah, I thought that was the website you were refering to. I'll be sure to correct my info to align with yours. I dont want to spread the rumor further than it is.

I though wikipedia was a little more stringent with their source material and that they frown upon rumors as being stated as fact. :-k At least thats what they claim...

Thanks Brian!

• 1 month later...

Here's a Standard that just came up if anyone's interested: http://cgi.ebay.com/...B:SS:US:1123#sf

BlackGeni-1.jpg

It appears to be all original with light wear and tear. I'd ask for closeups of the neck pocket before bidding, that's a typical weak point. The gypboard case is also original but worthless and does not protect the guitar well at all. I know because I have one and if it weren't for the fact that it's vintage, it would have gone out with the trash.

I's expect this one to sell for between $250 and $300. It would make a good guitar for hard rock / punk / metal band, those old DiMarzio knockoffs really scream.

Archived