Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton II

Alan189

Hi folks,

I had been thinking about modding my Sheraton II for a good while and the other night I decided to take the plunge and install a frequensator tailpiece.

I probbaly spent about a year researching any possible problems, string size, installing, etc. but was relatively simple and my normal strings fit with no probs (D & G being problematic, apparently) but there was plenty of room for those to fit on and even cut the excess off.

Sound wise, I can't really tell but I must say that it looks much better, I kind of wanted it to look like the old original Sheratons.

I've attached a couple of pictures of what it looked before and then some pictures during and after installation of the new tailpiece.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

My next modification is changing the pot colours to the shiney gold ones and then changing the toggle switch to cream colour.

Will look pretty decent when its all done and I will try to remember to post a picture when fully completed.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Brian,

Thanks for replying.

I have actually have thought about that, although not really looked into that yet. I was maybe thinking about plugging the holes with a natural piece of wood or something - not too sure. I also want to have the option of changing back to the Stopbar, which is why I left the screw holes in place, for the time being.

Before deciding on the frequensator, I was also thinking about a Bigsby B7.

I'm currently usig Elixir strings (gauge 10), sounds pretty sweet through a Marshall.

Cheers.

Yea, your right. I did mean the gold knobs. Not really sure where to get some that fit Epiphone size pots though. I got the frequensator from WD Music.

There should be plenty on eBay, also try stewmac.com, allparts.com or guitarfetish.com, they're all based in the US, not sure of your location but they all ship internationally anyway.

Update:

Managed to get some gold knobs and replaced the toggle switch to a cream coloured one.

My next mod would be the bridge. I'm basically wanting a Gibson or Epiphone Elitist style bridge (with the small posts) but not really sure if these will fit?

My Sheraton is 2008 MIK Unsung plant, if that helps.

Cheers,

Alan

All asian-made Sherris use metric parts so US (imperial) parts won't fit the bridge stud threads or spacing properly. The post-to-post spacing should be 72mm, but always measure and check with the supplier before ordering.

BTW, TonePros make high-quality replacement bridges in metric and imperial sizes. Stewmac has them too.

Archived