Gibson Brands Forums

Es 335 cracked back

Dirtyjerzey

This is my first post here, so hello to all

I recently scored a nice '06 335, with figured maple top and back, and the vintage sun burst finish. What I didn't realize is there is a slight crack in the laminated maple, it's on the rear lower bout. So the deal isn't quite as sweet as I thought. It seems as if the maple bubbled up and split, most likely from moisture, or something like that.

My concern is that it will spread over time. I contacted a luthier and he stated it is not uncommon and can be fixed, around a $200 repair. Anyone here have a repair like this done?

I have a natural finish '06 335 with no cracks, but at the time of purchase in '07, there was a new 335 in the store with a horn crack similar to yours (on the upper front). It seems like it might be rather difficult to get a flawless repair because the sunburst finish would be tough to match, but if you're thinking of the guitar as a long term keeper, repairing it would probably be a good idea, even if you end up with a minor finish flaw. Hope it all works out for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it actually a crack in the maple or just in the finish? It looks as if the finish could have separated.

I agree with what Mule1 is saying here. To me it looks more like it's a crack in the finish and not in the wood of the guitar. If that's so,

a good luthier should be able to sand that out and refinish it for you without affecting the coloring on the guitar because it's just the lacquer

that's being worked on.

Archived